F9.9 4 Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F9.9 4 Stroke

I hope someone can tell me the oil drain plug size on a 2017 4 stroke F9.9 Yamaha. I searched the previous threads and only find the listed size for the larger engines.
    The diameter and thread information would be very helpful. It would be an all-day project to take the boat out, drain the oil then take the plug to town in order to find the information. I did call the Yamaha dealer, but they couldn't help. They could order a replacement plug, but had no idea what size it was.
    Thanks
    Al

why do you need the info?

most just suck the oil out instead of draining .
    it keeps people from messing up and cross threading it or pulling threads

Comment

Tough question I guess.

Comment

Not a tough question at all. Just something that 99.999% of Yamaha owners would not care about. I could be low on that percentage by the way.

The part number may hold part of the answer.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 07-31-2020, 03:16 PM.

Comment

An older post from 2015 has the drain plug as 14MM

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Not a tough question at all. Just something that 99.999% of Yamaha owners would not care about. I could be low on that percentage by the way.

The part number may hold part of the answer.
            Thank you, I did guess from the part number that the size was 10mm, but I didn't know if it was a 1.0 or 1.5. Being an older person, I can look at a US bolt and tell the size and thread. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              An older post from 2015 has the drain plug as 14MM
              Older F9.9's did use a 14mm plug. Later ones do not. Yam likes to keep us guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Older F9.9's did use a 14mm plug. Later ones do not. Yam likes to keep us guessing.
                Guess the original poster's 2017 would make it a " later" model and a different drain plug?....guess Yamaha doesn't care about standardized predictability?

Comment

I have an FT9.9AEH model 6G8 from 1999 I think.

The oil drain plug is plastic with a brass-looking nut like this:
                  plugdrain_big6G81347100-01_e4ca.jpg
                  My problem is that it has sheared - the top wide part has come off the bottom threaded part. I have measured the thread and I think it's M17.5 with a 1.5 pitch. It seems very odd as I can't find anything online of that size. I was hoping to replace with something generic as the part itself seems to be in very short supply, but none of the four plugs I've bought so far fit, so it definitely is not M18. I've tried all sorts of bodges including gluing the parts back together, but with no success.

Anyone seen this before? I'm waiting on a Yamaha dealer to locate one for me... but it seems to be a bit unclear about when or whether it will turn up. (I'm in the UK).

thanks

Comment

As already stated most people use a suction pump and suck the oil up through the filler neck. When you get a new one I would suggest you do the same and not fool with that plug anymore. Crappy design if you ask me. But in saying that, it's better to have the plug be buggered up then the threads in block.!

Comment

They have them in stock here:

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...a084d44c6613a7

Capture.JPG
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                        As already stated most people use a suction pump and suck the oil up through the filler neck. When you get a new one I would suggest you do the same and not fool with that plug anymore. Crappy design if you ask me. But in saying that, it's better to have the plug be buggered up then the threads in block.!
                        I wish I’d known this a month ago!

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Thanks! It’s $40 including shipping to get that to the UK. I’ll have to try it if my current attempt with a UK Yamaha guy falls through.

Comment

Working...
                          X