Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke Outboard FT50 overheating problem SOLVED

Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke Outboard FT50 overheating problem solved

I write this in the hope that it will help others avoid the excessive time and energy trying to solve this problem.
    The engine is 7 years old and began to have overheating problems. The symptoms were that all was normal while the engine was working hard. As we approached a dock and began to slow down or after a few secs at tickover the overheat warning alarm would sound.
    I was fairly sure that the problem was a bad impellor so I dropped the foot and investigated. The impellor looked perfect but I replaced it anyway. Re-assemble the engine and tried again. No improvement !. I thought it might be a thermostat problem but I removed it checked it in a saucepan of water and it seemed to work well. I tried the engine again with no thermostat installed still no change. I thought it might be the temperature sensor at fault so I removed it tested it in a saucepan with water being heated and it was within specs.
    I took of the foot again and attached a garden hose to the bottom of the water tube as it protrudes through the centre mid section of the engine. When water pressure was applied a good stream of water came through the ‘pisser’.
    I put the foot in a bath of water and connected an electric drill to the drive shaft and rotated it with the drill and water was being pumped out of the water pump from the hole where the water tube would connect. I was however unsure that the pressure there was good enough since when I blocked the hole with my thumb it was fairly easy to block the stream and when I did this water escaped from the water pump housing from the gap that surrounds the drive shaft. This made me buy a brand new replacement water pump with another impellor and all the other water pump components including the housing.
    Installed it ran the engine again no improvement. I begin to doubt my sanity !
    There must be some serious internal problems so remove the engine from the boat. Remove the power head, pan, engine sump and inspect. First problem water tube which carries water from the pump up to the power head is badly corroded. Attempted a soldered repair of this copper pipe because a replacement was not easy to obtain or easy to fit. Reassembled the engine and installed on the boat .
    No improvement UGH ! What is going on here ? Time to buy a new engine !!
    Took the engine off again and another complete strip down of the power head, pan, engine sump and exhaust chamber and inspect again. There are many chambers in the engine sump to power head joint and I was unclear about which chambers carried the water so I use a compressed air gun from the water tube and felt for drafts at the joint this revealed which chamber brought the water to the power head.
    A compressed air gun upwards into the power head at this chamber should reveal a draft somewhere eg the pisser tube or the thermostat but I could feel nothing. So there is a blockage in the power head somewhere but where ?
    Looking at the port side of the engine you see a long aluminium manifold that runs from top to bottom of the power head its called the outer cover exhaust. At the top of it is the opening for the thermostat. I removed this cover to inspect. Inside I found a pristine looking manifold except for a pile of debris at the bottom of the casting. Poking around with a screwdriver I removed some light crud and then began to see the object was moving when I touched it. A bit more prodding and a pair of needle nose pliers allowed me remove a piece of crud about the size of a cigarette butt. I had no idea what it was but is was clearly blocking an important water passage.
    Cleaned the passage reassembled the engine put it back on the boat everything works well. Problem solved !
    I took the piece of crud to a local gathering at showed it around. A friend George Hemming recognized it immediately. It was the remains of a pencil anode installed on a brass plug in the engine water system.
    The lead anode had corroded near the point where it screws into the brass plug and the remaining piece had fallen into the water chamber eventually completely blocking a hole in the water circulation system.
    Many hours of work and a great deal of anxiety caused by this problem. I should have been more careful when I saw a perfect impellor ! I should have given this a great deal more thought.
    I hope this tale helps someone. Incidently no mention of this anode in the engine parts book or in the service instructions. Just a brass plug is shown in the parts book. Perhaps Yamaha ran out of plugs and installed plug with anode instead !!

Tony Dix

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear you solved your problem and more importantly that you now know what was causing it.

Comment

acutually all 5 anodes are listed in the parts manual, service manual AND the checklist.

yep them dang pencil zincs after a few years will break off and do stupid things.
      bUUUUUUUtttttt they should be CHECKED according to the MANUAL.

kinda like the STUPID question that I ask.
      when does a well maintained motor need a water pump ?????????

there are 4 anodes in the head and one in the ex cover.

Comment

And from what I believe I have read Rodbolt post before, if you do not do the checking of them often they may well break off when trying to pull them after they have gone too long.

And then get to take apart motor to find and get the broken pieces out

Comment

the one in the ex cover will break off and plug the water OUTLET to the powerhead adapter like a bath tub stopper.
          the 2 symptoms are an increasing telltale pressure followed by an overheat.

this I can tell from an experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            kinda like the STUPID question that I ask.
            when does a well maintained motor need a water pump ?????????
            BEFORE it 'needs' it.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Rodbolt - Does Yamaha use these on the TLR's? Thanks

Comment

yes.
                4 in the cyl head and one in the cover.
                when they break off in the head it requires head removal,cursing,wailing and gnashing of teeth to remove.
                the cover one requires cover removal and surgical skill.

Comment

I checked my parts diagram again. No pencil anode, just brass plug and washer

sorry cant get the picture to display !!
                  but if you right click copy the url and paste into browser you can see.
                  Happy new year
                  Last edited by tony_dix; 02-18-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Maybe if you tell us what year they made a FT50 we could look it up
                    all I see is F or T never a FT.
                    Posting the correct and complete model # always helps

Comment

it’s a Yamaha outboard motor supplied to Central America 50HP 4 stroke 2006
                      Label on Port side

YAMAHA FT50CET
                      64J L 105942

Label on Starboard Side

2006 36.8 KW
                      104-12 Kg

62Y Model 6

So the model is FT50CET which I learn from the internet is equivalent to a US Model T50 for years 2000/2004
                      Thanks
                      Tony

Comment

#5 is anode

2000 T50TLRY Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE 2 Diagram and Parts

Comment

need help

i have a 1985 yamaha 50hp 4 stroke ....i can run it max or even half speed for over 2 hours with no issues.water comes out and always have green oil light on...but when *****ing for 20 min or more the alarm will sound in the throttle control box ..i have to turn it off for aprox 10 min then i can go again for a bit.why is it over heating i have a steady flow of water pissing out the back of the motor ..green light all times.i am running yamalube 1 which is what they recommend in the manual.intake vents are clear nothing blocking water flow.a few times i have been out *****ing for over 5 hours no problems so its seems to be random...and exhaust is coming out fine,.please help and ty in advance

Comment

Originally posted by canada1980 View Post
                            i have a 1985 yamaha 50hp 4 stroke ....i can run it max or even half speed for over 2 hours with no issues.water comes out and always have green oil light on...but when *****ing for 20 min or more the alarm will sound in the throttle control box ..i have to turn it off for aprox 10 min then i can go again for a bit.why is it over heating i have a steady flow of water pissing out the back of the motor ..green light all times.i am running yamalube 1 which is what they recommend in the manual.intake vents are clear nothing blocking water flow.a few times i have been out *****ing for over 5 hours no problems so its seems to be random...and exhaust is coming out fine,.please help and ty in advance
                            Start a new thread please.

Comment

?

not sure how

Comment

Working...
                              X