Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250HP OX66 Overheating at Idle

Good evening everybody,

Have had an overheating at low idle issue with my 2000 250HP OX66 since last season. Have done a ton of research and still can’t resolve it. Above 1,100RPM it doesn’t overheat (In water, not earmuffs).

First thing I did was replaced both thermostats and the poppet valve system. Replaced water pump and housing (twice). Still doing it. So I opened the heads and started cleaning all the water jackets/passages (on both sides). Even tried flushing with light acid mix. Hasn’t fixed it. I couldn’t find a diagram of how the water travels through the block. Maybe something is still plugged?

Last week I went out and noticed a lot of water coming out of the exhaust. I know water exiting through there is normal, but how much? I never opened the middle/exhaust part of block. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Reel1Fishing; 07-22-2020, 11:05 PM.

maybe it is time to board scope the exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      maybe it is time to board scope the exhaust
      Board scope?

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Pretty sure it was typo and he meant borescope. I actually have one but will see if I can open middle exhaust portion on block. Was afraid of breaking a bolt but will hope for the best. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Board scope?
          yep you and the correction system got me I think
          op drop lower unit and shove it up there to look

Comment

Might try removing and taking a look at the temp sensor. Could be something in that cavity that's causing a disruption of waterflow around the sensor at lower flow rates. Especially if the overheat alarm goes away quickly upon increasing the RPM.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
            X