2014 Yamaha F150 cranks but won’t turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Yamaha F150 cranks but won’t turn over

I have a 2014 yamaha f150 with about 500 hrs on it, I try to take really good care of it and keep up with the maintenance schedule. Before I launched this season I went through most of the fuel system, new filters onboard ect, VST cleaned with new filters, took the fuel rail off and cleaned, sent my fuel injectors out, the report said they were perfect which doesn't surprise me bc the VST was super clean as well. engine was runnig good then in the lower RPM range(1500-2000) it started sputtering and dropping RPMs with occasional stalls. I was able to run it at WOT 5300-5500 when trimmed out without issue. Other day I ran out to do near shore fishing 3 miles out it was hiccuping at the lower RPMs again when throttling up, but ran good at higher RPMs. fished for a couple hours with the engine off, when I went to start her up the engine would crank but not start. went through all the basics primed the bulb ect and nothing. accepting defeat I dropped anchor and called seatow. I had tried several times to start the engine and didn't want to drain the batteries anymore so let it sit until seatow arrived. The captain asked to see what was going on so I tried to start it and of course it turned over. I was able to make it back to the dock but it definetly ran a little rough on the way in. when I got in I shut off the engine and tried to turn it over again to reproduce the problem on video. Im not a boat mechanic but have learned a lot about the engine by going through the scheduled maintenace items, I know I have compression bc it ran at mid 5000s at WOT, the spark plugs have less then 100hrs on them, the batteries are new, so I'm thinking this is something with the fuel system . My best guess is the fuel pumps are no good. Any feedback or suggestions on what to check or test would be appreciated.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aU-...ew?usp=sharing
    Web word processing, presentations and spreadsheets

If this happened after you worked on the engine...which it sounds like it did, then go back over all the work you did carefully. Check the fuel filter cups are seated properly, hoses and wiring are all put back without pinching or kinks...ect.

Comment

need to check for spark when it will not start.
      just a guess, but maybe it was flooded and finally cleared and started.
      running rough could also be from too rich

Comment

Okay, the boat ran fine on several occasions, of course it is possible that a hose could be kinked but most of them fall back into place pretty easily when doing the VST, I would have thought the problems would have presented immediately if it was a linked hose, as an update I tested the fuel rail pressure at key on and got nothing

Comment

Working...
        X