Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F6 4-stroke/ 2 cylinder detune?

Hello all,

I searched long and hard and couldn't find anything on forum. So here goes,,,

Any yamaha experts here to help answer this question.... I have a rather large 6hp, 4-stroke, 2-cylinder portable outboard... The thing is as big and heavy as an 8hp or even 9.9hp. I am wondering if this is a detuned unit and i can possibly change a couple of parts or alter some features and gain the extra few horsepower? I have never seen a 6hp this large before in my life and this is what has me curious...

Thanks a lot

I don't know..that question is asked frequently here for different engines.

You could look at the parts breakdown(on here) for yours and a 8hp of the same year and see what is the differents between the two. A tedious job.

You did not list what year or model you have.

Comment

A tedious job indeed! I have thought of that approach actually... guess in the end it may be the only option. Of course Yamaha dealers aren’t much help...

Funny thing about my unit.... on the Yamaha website, my model # does not actually come up. So i dont know what year the unit is and hence do not know what manuals to look at??

Anyways the model is F6MSHG, the other Number is 60N S 1009847

Comment

Originally posted by Aubrey44 View Post
        A tedious job indeed! I have thought of that approach actually... guess in the end it may be the only option. Of course Yamaha dealers aren’t much help...

Funny thing about my unit.... on the Yamaha website, my model # does not actually come up. So i dont know what year the unit is and hence do not know what manuals to look at??

Looks like an '05 to me:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...ar/2005/f6mshd
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Aubrey44 View Post

Possible tedious or not. But not something a Yamaha dealer is trained to do. Or wants to do.

At what Yamaha website are you looking? Yamaha USA? If so, an F6MSHG is not a model they sold. Won't be on their website.

In what country was your motor purchased? What is the month and year of production on the data tag?
          Last edited by boscoe99; 07-16-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Nevermind....... Tks Boscoe
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              he said G and you posted D

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

he said G and you posted D
                That's why I posted "nevermind"..
                Scott

Comment

It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Possible tedious or not. But not something a Yamaha dealer is trained to do. Or wants to do.

At what Yamaha website are you looking? Yamaha USA? If so, an F6MSHG is not a model they sold. Won't be on their website.

In what country was your motor purchased? What is the month and year of production on the data tag?
                    This motor was handed down to me... i am from Northern Canada, i have been using the Canadian Yamaha website. I would suspect it was bought by a local dealer...

the closest i can come to finding is 2008 BUT the model is F6MSG not my F6MSHG...

where would the month/year production tag be??

thanks alot for the help

Comment

Other side of the motor.
                      zmy.jpg

Comment

A Canuck F6MH(S)G is going to be the equivalent of a US F6AM(S)H. Same year US F8CM(S)H.

Use the Yamaha USA parts catalog to compare the F6 to the F8. To see how similar or different they are. Remove the F6 parts and install the F8 parts.

Not that particularly onerous. One the parts books in different browsers. Compare the parts side by side.

For instance
                        zf6c.jpgzf6.jpg

Comment

Beautiful pictures! Tanks alot for the help... I'll have to look at the transom next time i am at camp to verify the year.... make sure i am using the appropriate catalogue for my year.

Now i just need to get my hands on the USA parts catalogue for both the F6 and F8.

Great forum! Will recommend to my Yamaha friends..

Comment

Www.yamahaoutboards.com

Click on maintenance. Then click on outboard parts.

Comment

Ok.... so just reviving this for brief commentary on what you all think...

I have compared all the parts for F6 to the F8 on the USA parts website and the Canadian parts website.... And have found the following...

These are the only parts that are different between both units....

Part No. Part Name
                              68T-85550-11 ROTOR ASSY
                              68T-85520-00 COIL, CHARGE
                              68T-85533-10 COIL, LIGHTING
                              68T-85540-00 C.D.I. UNIT ASSY
                              68T-41283-00 LEVER, FREE ACCEL.
                              68T-41211-00 LINK, ACCEL.

Are there any experienced engine mechanics who think that these would be all the parts required to gain 2 extra horsepower?? I guess I expected the change would have been in the carb or valve.. not the electronics.... Any comments??

Thanks alot

Comment

Working...
                              X