Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Same old fuel issue on F225 03 motor dies after hot restart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same old fuel issue on F225 03 motor dies after hot restart.

I have posted my findings and have tried to help others. Well i thought i had it finally figured things out.. Well its back . In a nut shell after running the motor , shutting it down for a time throttle it up it dies. The vst started to run out of fuel but was able to catch up and the motor did not shut down totally. I have twin 225's and the other works fine. I have nothing else to do but throw in the towel and repower. I was thinking of just doing a mechanical shift 225 keeping my old controls or starting all new or another manufacturer??

did it help to run the motors at idle for a little while to cool them off before shutting them off after a long hard run?
    did you make sure the fuel cooler has good water flow?

did it help to pump the primer bulb before restarting?
    did it take a few or more pumps to fill the VST?

Comment

I gave the motors a 5 minute cool down at idle. Cleaned fuel cooler last year. Did not have to squeeze the ball the motor caught up. It never went totally empty. Last year I added the charcoal canister fix to the system.i thought it worked but not. Runs great all day as long as I don’t turn them off

Comment

the reason I asked about pumping the bulb before restart is to see if the fuel in the VST boiled out.
        try that to see if stops the problem

Comment

I will pump the ball next time . If it’s boiling out there is no way to stop it other than venting the heat from the hood or circulating cooling water

Comment

there is something different about that one motor.
            running hotter than the other one .
            not as much cooling flow thru the fuel cooler maybe.

just proving the problem is fuel level in the VST before you start it at least gives a problem to look for a fix.

those motors have an electric lift pump, correct?
            what about turning the key on for a few seconds before starting to give the pump time to fill the VST.
            ​​​​​​​ it should run for a little bit before shutting back off.

Comment

yes electric fuel pump. Key on only activates the high pressure pump .not the lift pump. It really seems that this motor is producing more heat.

Comment

I thought the lift pump came on for a few seconds at key on, but then cycled on and off while motor was running at low RPM.
                and then ran all the time at high RPM

Comment

When you start the motor I always let it stop beeping first. I never rush to turn the key on

Comment

Do you smell a strong gas smell at any point when you are having the issue? If I run my 150 at a decent pace and shut down. Then try to restart, it will struggle. I can open the throttle a bit using the neutral button and start it. It will stink a bit like gas as the mixture is rich from the fumes from the “hot” VST venting.

edit- reread. Your issue seems to be different. There have been several over the years with the same issue. Can you buy a new 3.3 liter F225 these days? The 4.2 is available.
                    Last edited by pstephens46; 07-13-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X