Yamaha 130HP Remote Oil Level Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 130HP Remote Oil Level Alarm

Purchasing a boat with this 2001 Yamaha 130HP motor from Private seller. Upon starting engine the alarm sounded and constantly stayed on. After much time spent troubleshooting, and ruling out most all causes (high temp, etc.) for why the alarm was wanting to stay on, we go to the main oil reservoir tank.

We removed the float switch unit/shaft from the 3/4 full oil tank. The float switch "fell to the bottom of shaft" (as it should have, now being out of the tank and not submerged in the oil to make it stay in the upper position) and THE ALARM STOPS SOUNDING!!!! Stops sounding even though the float is now in the INCORRECT (bottom) position on the shaft. Its like its working backwards: and "alarming" when the float is in the "raised position" instead of the "lowered" (low oil) position.

We then "swapped out" the entire float switch/sending unit, and the same problem still occurred with the new unit installed. Our next step was to "swap out" the entire wire harness from the sending unit on the tank (thinking that a wire or plug may be bad) to the plug in the engine cowling....... STILL THE SAME PROBLEM!

The oil pump continues to pump oil (on demand) from main reservoir to the small remote tank on the engine with no issues.

I know that cutting the single alarm wire from the harness plug will shut this annoying alarm off, (keeping in mind that I check oil level each trip anyway) and the oil pump will STILL function and send oil to the small engine side tank on automatic demand, BUT..... that really wouldn't solve the issue, now would it?

HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE, OR CAN ANYONE FIGURE THIS OUT?

I really need this to function properly before i feel comfortable purchasing this boat.

HELP!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by captbrian52; 07-12-2020, 09:16 AM.

Disconnecting any alarm should not be done, regardless of how annoying it may be, and just because it's pumping oil now, doesn't mean it will be next week! I am just trying to work out what you have described about the oil system.

Comment

some motors have water in fuel alarm.

might be that the problem is not oil related if the rest of the oil system is functioning properly.

does the alarm stop if the motor is running and in gear?
      Last edited by 99yam40; 07-12-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X