High Temp alarm ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Temp alarm ?

2016, 150 4 stroke, just had fuel pump replaced by dealer, no problems with it, he just decided to do it at 150 hours. Now I get intermittent alarm after idling for an extended period of time. Not sure what the high temp alarm is supposed to sound like...but it's like a depth finder low water alarm, only constant, no beep....beep....beep. I turn off the ignition, and the alarm stops, sometimes re-occurs after re-starting, sometimes not. Dealer claims to have looked at the engine with a computer, saw no error codes, no abnormal temperature recorded. Dealer thinks it's the depth finder acting up.
    Never had the problem before new fuel pump installed...coincidence ? Also just discovered trim tab missing...odd. In order to replace the fuel pump, is it necessary to remove the trim tab ? If it was properly torqued at 30 pounds, it seems unlikely to have just worked loose on it's own enough to fall off. Comments ?

Regards
    Gemstone

Seems strange to "just decide" to replace a perfectly good fuel pump. Unless you mean water pump?

Comment

Likely a WATER PUMP as noted above. If 4 years old and original, I think it's a good idea to replace it..

And yes, the trim tab (part #16), has to be removed to remove the lower unit.
      That tab hides a bolt underneath it that MUST be be removed.

Someone didn't tighten it back up fully...

Capture.JPG

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-08-2020, 04:27 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any alarms showing on the gauges?

Lastly, might disconnect the depth finder for awhile and see if the beeping goes away.
        Some depth finders have "adjustments" to alert for certain low depths-Might wanna check yours..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

"Unless you mean water pump?" I did mean water pump...thanks.

"And yes, the trim tab (part #16), has to be removed to remove the lower unit."....thanks for the diagram.

If and when it happens again, the first thing I intend to do is unplug the depth finder to either eliminate or prove it is the culprit.

Thanks for the replies

Regards
          Gemstone

Comment

Originally posted by Gemstone View Post
            Not sure what the high temp alarm is supposed to sound like.
            Then you can acquaint yourself with it:

1. with the engine off, pull the safety lanyard
            2. while listening carefully,
            turn the key and crank the engine for a second

It won't start - but that horn you hear,
            is the high temp/low oil pressure warning alarm

Also - as Townsends asked - what Yamaha gauge do you have?

a Yamaha tachometer should display an indicator
            if the engine is alarming

Comment

I always worry when problems arise after someone has worked on it. But of course your dealer may have made a genuine mistake and it is not incompetence or neglence.

Comment

Working...
              X