Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 cyl 2 stroke C40TLRV what is the purpose of the large plug on the cylinder head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 cyl 2 stroke C40TLRV what is the purpose of the large plug on the cylinder head?

I am in the middle of doing some routine maintenance, replacing gaskets, seals, etc., and I was curious if anyone could tell me the point of the large 14 mm plug with red gasket (like an oil plug) on the left of the cylinder head. No. 4 in picture (3 is gasket). Parts list and service manual calls it a "straight screw." It doesn't appear to have ever been removed (I haven't ever needed to), and I can't really figure out what the point would be, other than possibly to do some kind of flush with cleaner on the water passages. I searched and looked in the service manual, but could not find any answers. I was just curious if anyone knew what it was for.

Sacrificial (zinc) anode?

Comment

not sure, but I think it is a place to put a optional temp gauge sensor

Comment

Thanks for the replies! It is not an anode, as those are under screwed under the head. I was thinking it might be for some type of optional sensor or diagnostic procedure also, but cant really find any mention of it. Thus, the curiosity.

Comment

Just curious, did you remove the plug, and if you did, were the threads the same as what you would find on a garden hose?

Comment

No, I did not remove it. It didn't really want to budge very easily. So, since I don't really see much use for it, I decided it was't worth it to possibly mess up the head, etc. trying to get it out. Just, figured next time I have the head off I would see about lubing up the threads from the inside and removing then. Anyway, it is a metric bolt (14 mm) so don't think any North American hose fittings would fit it.

Comment

Working...
            X