40hp fuel supply problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40hp fuel supply problem

I have 1991 yamaha 40hp 2 stroke outboard. It seems the fuel will not come out of the tank.
    things I have done:
    -Brand new fuel line and bulb (aftermarket- Attwood
    -Fresh hi test fuel
    -removed the suction pipe from the tank - doesn't appear to be any obstruction. If you hold it upside down and fill it to the top of the mesh screen with gas and then push the needle valve in at the hose connection, the suction tube totally flows out thru the connector as expected.
    -with everything back together and hose hooked up to the tank but not the motor, pushing in the steel ball on the motor end of the hose while squeezing the primer bulb , no fuel comes out the end. It doesn't make any difference if tank cap is tight or loosened.
    -as a matter of fact, we felt air coming out of engine end when the primer bulb pumped vigorously.
    -when engine end is hooked up to the engine and primer bulb is squeezed, there is never any firmness to the primer bulb no matter how many times the primer bulb is squeezed. In fact, if you crank the engine while doing this, the bulb flattens somewhat.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Primer bulb installed backwards?...

Comment

if the motor's fuel pump will flatten the primer bulb, you have a blockage between the bulb and the pick up in tank

Comment

Arrow is facing proper direction have tried two different fuel lines. Same results.
        it does seem like a plug or blockage somewhere but I don't believe it's in the hoses. I removed the entire gas fitting and pickup tube assembly and it looks like a pretty intricate design. I'm wondering if the problem is in it. There was no residue or sediment built up in the bottom screen and the inside of the tank is spotless. And I also flushed the pickup tube by turning it upside down and pouring gas thru the filter screen until the Tube was full up to the screen. I then manually pushed the pin valve where the fuel line hooks in to and as soon as I did this , gas flows freely out and the tube emptied quickly. I did this twice but no difference.
        Where else could there be a plug? I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

Comment

I had similar symptoms, and needed a new hose, bulb, etc. I know you have a new one, but you might try another.

Comment

Working...
          X