05 F115 losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 F115 losing power

Hey all. My 2005 115 is losing power while on plane. The engine never shuts off, but seems to just shut(idle) down until I put it in neutral and then power up again. There is also an alarm sounding under the console but there is nothing showing on the gauges This cycle continues throughout until I'm done for the day.

I have taken it to the dealer for warranty twice and they claim the problem has been fixed both times, once being a loose harness under the console and the other a "clogged" fuel filter.

Any suggestions? I would rather just try and fix it myself if possible than take it back to the dealer.

Many thanks
    Lee

Lee are you using a Racor fuel/water separator filter prior to the motor? If not, install one soon as you can. Does your boat have a fuel primer bulb on it in the fuel line? When this event is occuring with your motor do you notice if the primer bulb is collapsing? It could be water in the fuel and the water sensor on the engine's internal fuel filter is triggering the alarm and reducing the engine speed. Many boat builders have stopped installing the Racor filters during rigging trying to save a few dollars, leaving it to the new owner to fix the shortfall. So don't be surprised if you don't see a Racor on your boat.

Here's a link to buy a Racor online if you want to or you can find them at West Marine:
    http://www.marinefilters.com/product...ber=W320RRAC01

Mike

Comment

Lee are you using a Racor fuel/water separator filter prior to the motor? You know, I'm not sure, but I will check it out as soon as I get home

Does your boat have a fuel primer bulb on it in the fuel line? Yes it does!!

When this event is occuring with your motor do you notice if the primer bulb is collapsing?
      I haven't even checked it but now it's on my list.

Wow, that's fantastic information and I really appreciate it!

Lee
      Lee

Comment

Hamfisted, is the racor a direct replacement fo rthe factory filter or is it used in conjunction with it??

Thanks

Comment

If the alarm is sounding then the engine will go into RPM reduction and hold RPM's to about 2000 RPM's. Your dealer can run a computer diagnostic and see what alarm codes are logged in the ECU.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X