Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115TLRP Charging Issues?

Good Afternoon,

I have a 1991 Yamaha C115TLRP 2 stroke outboard motor that I have only ran a handful of times, but the in past couple weeks I've been in the river *****ing for rockfish for 6hrs once and twice been out casting for hour or so at a time before changing locations with motor off and with my depth finder, vhf, and am/fm radio on without any battery issues.

Since i got the boat about 6 months ago, whenever I start the boat (even first start of the day) the motor will just "clunk" without starting a few tries before cranking like it should. I figure this is an issue with the starter solenoid, since I ran a start button straight from the battery to my starter to test it and it cranked everytime without issues.

while I was in the back testing the starter I decided to check my charging system as well with the motor running. I hooked up the multimeter to the battery and was only getting 12.5 - 12.7 volts. I checked it at the black and red at the left side of the voltage regulator (I'm assuming that's the output) and it was the same reading. I gave the boat some throttle and it didn't seem to change much at all. Is this a normal reading for these motors or do I have an issue with my charging system? Again, I have been out about 4 times this summer and have never had to put a charge on the battery. With the battery unhooked, the voltage is 12.5 at the battery, so it seems like the battery is taking a charge, but i really dont want to end up stranded if something is starting to fail. I should also add that my tachometer pegs at 7 grand as soon as I turn the key to the on position and stays pegged even after the motor is started. I don't know if that runs off the charging system. Thanks in advance, any input helps.

battery voltage should be 12.7 V
    charging voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5V

sounds like you have a charging problem

hook meter to battery and measure voltage, then crank motor. as the motor is cranking the voltage will drop some, but once fired and running it should go up above 13 volts

Comment

The battery was 12.5 without the motor running. Once the motor was started, it was still only 12.5 - 12.7 at an idle. I have to replace the starter solenoid this week when it comes in, so I will check the voltage drop while cranking and then check again while it's running

Comment

Working...
      X