Tilt Trim won’t work on 90hp outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt Trim won’t work on 90hp outboard

Hello. New member here. I’ve got a 90hp Yamaha outboard. Model # 90TLRP. Code 6H1L. Serial # 478000. I believe it’s a 1991 but not certain. My tilt trim won’t work. When I hit both buttons (1 at the throttle and 1 at back of motor) all I get is a clicking sound. My father-in-law who’s quite mechanically inclined helped me test the solenoids with a test light. I’ve got power coming to/from the solenoids. Last fall I noticed when it was really cold that the motor would trim down but it sounded awful. What I attributed to really cold hydraulic fluid. Not sure that’s related. Any suggestions on next steps?

have you checked the fluid condition?
    may be contaminated with water.

have you tested the motor with battery Pos and neg to see it will run.
    disconnect the leads to the motor from the relay and then jump to battery power

Comment

I think we figured out what's wrong. We couldn't find anything wrong with the relays or electrical connections so my father-in-law started tapping on the hydraulic motor with a hammer. That jarred it loose and it starter to operate, slowly moving the motor up/down. Problem is, the hydraulic motor sounds terrible. I posted a short video o YouTube w/ sound. What you hear is not the outboard running but rather the hydraulic motor of the tilt/trim unit. I'm assuming from the sound of it that it needs replacing. I found a good video on YouTube that shows the steps for replacement. It doesn't look simple, but does look manageable, even for a novice like me. Any confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have found that the motors have magnets glued to the inside of the outer case, one may have turned loose and is rubbing the armature.
        tapping on the outer case probably moved one around a little, but you can take apart and see if you want to try gluing it back down, or buy a new one.
        after market motors are cheap, but will rust up quickly if you do not do a good paint job on it before mounting it

Comment

Here's the diagram for your T&T motor:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...-tilt-assembly

It certainly can't hurt to disassemble/inspect before buying an aftermarket one.

As noted above, you may luck out with an easy fix.

The engine looks super clean for it's age so that would be helpful in disassembly..

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

99yam40 and TownsendsFJR1300 , thank you for your help. It's very much appreciated. I found the aftermarket motor from DB Electrical for ~$90. I'd go this route as I can't justify spending the $650-$700 for an OEM one. Anyone have experience with motors from DB Electrical? Another question, as I look at the parts diagram I would order the motor assembly (everything in part #2 of the diagram, part #6H1-43880-00-00). But I'm wondering if I need parts 21, 40, 71 in the diagram? I don't think so but want to be sure so I can order everything at one time. Thanks again for your help! https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...-tilt-assembly

Comment

Yamaha doesn't sell them as a kit or with their motor so it's kinda up to the seller if he's providing them or not...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

my guess would be it comes with o ring, but not the filter and spring seal( what ever that is)

interesting that 21 is not available
                have you taken it apart yet to see what they problem is?
                that will give you an idea is 40 and 71 need replacing
                Last edited by 99yam40; 07-06-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X