Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift position switch help.

2001 150 HPDI's
    I have replaced these shift position switch's on my motors a few times over the last 13 yrs and I'm getting sick of it. What is the cause of the failure and what can I do to avoid this? When I take the switch out and meter it, it shows open and closed fine, but its a different story with no telling when I am going to have an issue with it. I just don't feel like spending another $40 for ANOTHER switch.

When i'm out fishing and getting ready to move one engine goes into safe mode when I hit the throttle. I have to go back and fourth from neutral to forward a bunch of times until it engages. Its a pain in the butt.
    Insufficient Fund$ II - 26' Paramount, twin Yamaha 150 HPDI's
    Sometimes you eat the bear, Sometimes the bear eats you!

I am still having this issue with the safety switch. Has anyone had something similar to this?

When I go from neutral to forward, the RPM's cut off. I have to switch back and fourth from neutral to forward a bunch of times until it will actually load up and get going. Am I looking at the wrong switch? I tested the switch with the blue wire at the motor end of the shift cable.

I need help with this.

Comment

most likely, it AINT da switch.
      99% sure it aint not da switch.
      NONE of the shift cut nor shift positions will kill the engine.

post whats going on and what leads to to any switch.

unless your audible isn't working, you are NOT going into safe mode.

in fact toss safe mode to the door.

neither switch will trigger the so called safe mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywoodfish View Post
        When I go from neutral to forward, the RPM's cut off.
        Rod I think he means RPMs drop off not motor dies, but have no idea what RPMs it drops to.

Could the neutral switch or wiring problem be letting computer think it is still in neutral and cutting spark to some plugs limiting RPM maybe

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Rod I think he means RPMs drop off not motor dies, but have no idea what RPMs it drops to.

Could the neutral switch or wiring problem be letting computer think it is still in neutral and cutting spark to some plugs limiting RPM maybe
          This is what's happening. The motor does not die, it just drops the RPM's off. No matter how far I advance the throttle, it does not get above the 700-800 area. I then switch back to neutral and forward again a bunch of times until it is able to get going. It feels as if the motor is believing that it is still in neutral when it is in gear.

Comment

If replacing the switch did not help then look at the wiring and connectors is my thought

Comment

IF the ECU sees an in gear signal AND a start signal it will limit RPM to about 2300.
              if the ECU never sees an in gear signal it will run on 4 cyl to about 1500 RPM then drop two more cylinders and will now be running on two cylinders.

Comment

Could the second shift/neutral switch in throttle/control box be causing this same problem?

Just a thought on this.

Comment

Is it this part that is the problem? 68F-8259F-00-00
                  Can I close the circuit by connecting the wires together?

Comment

Working...
                  X