Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 200 HP Yamaha lean sneeze issue

Model is - S200txrv
    I have a new to me engine that I believe sat for a couple of years. I have the engine running but it seems to have a lean sneeze on slow acceleration. If I put it to WOT immediately it does not have this issue. It just occurs during slow acceleration.
    I have changed the fuel pumps, spark plugs, fuel filters, primer bulb and rebuilt the carbs multiple times. When cleaning the carbs I put them in carb cleaner for a few hours then put in an ultrasonic cleaner. I also cleaned the jets. The timing looks good as do the plug wires. Compression is also good.
    The issue still occurs even when I prime the bulb during acceleration. It idles fine and at WOT it runs good.
    At this point I am not sure what the issue could be. The one area that may be a problem could the oil ratio? Since the oil system is so old, I have been premixing the gas at 50 to 1 in addition to the oiler (which also seems to be working.) Is it possible the heavy oil mix is causing a slight lean condition in the mid-range rpm on acceleration? Any other ideas on what could potentially cause the issue?
    Thanks for the help!

Just my thoughts, but mixing oil in the tank could change the SG of the fuel going thru the jets/passages making it not how they designed the system

Comment

Thanks - I am going to try running in an external tank without premixed fuel and see if the condition goes away.

Comment

Have you check timing marks and initial carburetor screw adjustment? lean sneeze and pre-mix are different issues, unless your cylinders scorned so much that piston drugging in cylinder, that usually started with lean sneeze. my recommendation: remove heads, inspect cylinders, clean water passages that most likely long overdue anyway. and adjust according to service manual. all my 2-cycle engines start and run perfect: outboard, lawn mover, power washer, power saw. all never required adjustments once set properly and drained of gas before winter storage.

Comment

Yes I have adjusted the initial carb mixture screws as well as set the timing. I will definitely look to remove the heads if I continue to have the issue. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X