F175 DEC twins - fuel flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F175 DEC twins - fuel flow

Should there be a significant difference in fuel burn between my engines? F/LF175XCAs were installed in January to replace a pair of F/LF150TXRDs on a 2005 ProSport ProKat 2660. I noticed after my first complete fuel fill that the starboard tank took 15 fewer gallons than the port on a 150 gallon fill. On my next trip, I made sure to set my guage to show fuel burn per engine, which I checked a few times during the day. The port engine always had a five to fifeen percent higher flow than the starboard.

My certified Yamaha dealer/mechanic said the load of the boat , wind direction,load increase or decrease fuel burn and are pretty common for one to do that with so many variables. In two long runs under different conditions, the port engine is burning more. All I know is that with 15 years of my F150s, I never had more than a gallon difference when filling up....and I often fish offshore burning 120-160 gallons per trip. One thing I will check is my props. I recently had them tuned and maybe one has more pitch or cup than the other? I'll either take them in to the shop, or put on my old spares and see if the burn rate differential stays or goes.

Other than that, what should I check, or have my mechanic check?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by striperstan; 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM.
Working...
X