Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question about prop shaft seals (and other gaskets) for C40TLRV 1997 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about prop shaft seals (and other gaskets) for C40TLRV 1997 2 stroke

Resealing my lower unit. First time I have had to change the prop seals. A very quick question if anyone knows about the prop shaft oil seals and water pump gasket for this motor. The outside of the seals that mate with the housing appear to me to have a shine to it, like it had a coating like some of the other gaskets I have replaced in the past. Those usually say "do not use sealant" or similar though. Does anyone know if that is the case also with Yamaha prop seals? If not, do most here just use grease or LU oil on the outside of the seal when installing or do most people use a gasket sealant? My housing surface is in pretty good shape. A couple very light scratches but nothing major. Feels smooth to finger. In any other application I would just oil them up with whatever oil was gonna be behind them and push in.

Thanks in advance for replies!

I think they show a sealant in the service manual for seals, but check to make sure in your service manual

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks! Looked in the service manual and didn't see where it called for anything other than marine grease for the seals, so I will just go with that.

Comment

Working...
      X