Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No charge on No 1.

2005 F225 Four Strokes.

Port engine doesn't appear to be charging once started. The Voltmeter on my YAM gauges is wired to the Starboard engines ignition switch. IOW, when you go to crank the P engine you cannot read the avail V unless you turn the key on the Stbd engine to the RUN position. I do this before I crank the Port to determine avail V. Typically 12.6-12.8. Once started, I would expect to see (and pretty sure that I USED to see) 13.4 V or so to indicate proper charging from the P engine. No more.

I then crank the Stbd engine and the Volts jump to 13.4ish. Smile and crack a beer.

I am about to dig into the YAM manual to see what they have to say but figured I'd ask here as well.

Is there a common culprit that fails and then prevents proper voltage once the flywheel is spinning? What I don't know about electrics is a LOT, so type slowly to me.

I would measure the peak voltage out of the lighting coil into the RR and then out of the RR

Comment

I'm puzzled by your description of the keyswitch behavior -
      but regardless -
      use a portable multitester to confirm the voltage
      at the actual battery terminal where the port engine's cable connects.

If it is not in fact making juice,
      the suspects are
      - the stator (simple coil of wire)
      - the regulator/rectifier (solid state voodoo)
      - the "Driver Assembly" (more solid state voodoo)
      - fuse (2 x 30A "Rec/Reg Main Fuse" in the fuse box, port side)
      - the wiring & junctions

Comment

WRT Keyswitch ops -

Turning the P key to ON you get the P Tach on. Period.

Then turning the S key to ON you get the other 3 gauges. One of which allows you to access Voltage through the MODE switch. I always check the V because I installed a fancy solar panel on the T-Top just to keep the batts up to snuff during the winter months. I like to know the status of stuff since I do all my own wrenching and I take this boat 50NM offshore.

IF I check V after start with only engine No 1 running (as mentioned in the original post), it shows the same Battery V that it read before the start. It SHOULD read the charging voltage. Only after Eng No 2 is online does the Batter V jump to show charging voltage.

Capische?

Comment

Working...
        X