2005 Yamaha V MAX - Motor ball is not staying hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha V MAX - Motor ball is not staying hard

The boat gets on a plain at 43 RPM for about 15 seconds then the RPM goes to 28 and the motor cuts off. I have changed all the hoses including the gas hose from the motor to the gas tank.

This did not start until the mechanic put on my gas sender unit.

Can anyone tell me what maybe wrong with the motor?

This may be really tough as there is limited information here - which tends to lead to a lot of guessing. The info provided is also not very descriptive or accurate. For example... "gas sender unit" sounds like a fuel sender, which would have nothing to do with a running issue.

And... "motor ball"... what the heck is that? I'm going to assume you are referring to the fuel primer bulb. So, if that is getting soft and you are losing power, you may have a restriction somewhere in the supply side - which can include the pickup tube and the vent line. Try running with the fuel fill cap off.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Perhaps Mr Mechanic who changed the fuel sending unit dropped a rag or something down in the tank. And it is now across the pickup tube...restricting fuel flow.
      I would almost bet $20 on that.

Comment

more than likely there is an air leak where the fuel line comes out of the tank, the motors fuel pump sucks more air than fuel.

Comment

Could it be the fuel pumps? The motor sat for a while before we purchased it.

Comment

Also this did not start until the fuel sender unit was repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by tuccimf1 View Post
              Also this did not start until the fuel sender unit was repaired.
              if that was the last thing messed with before the problem , I would look at that area first.
              but sitting for some time could cause other things too

Comment

Try running it off a portable 5 gallon tank, take the boats fuel tank out of the equation. See what happens.

Comment

Working...
                X