Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI won't start (think it's fuel pump issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI won't start (think it's fuel pump issue)

Hi everyone. This past weekend, my 2001 yamaha 150 HPDI just stopped running, out of the blue. I have had trouble figuring out the problem. This was right after filling the tank with fresh fuel. I checked for spark, and have that on all 6 plugs. I tried starting it with the gas fill cap open, to eliminate any venting issues. The fuel water separator was put on last month, the engine mounted filter looks good, and I just replaced the canister filter after the VST. I pulled the hose off the out port of this filter, after replacing, and get a steady stream of fuel while cranking, I tried leaving a spark plug out while cranking, and no fuel came out of the port, and all the spark plugs seem fairly dry. I checked for compression, and got between 115-125 for all the cylinders. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the high pressure fuel pump. It sounds like it wants to start, it just won't catch. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it!

pull and clean the VST & filter
    or at least drain it to see if there is water or trash in there, since this happened after a fill up.
    checking to see if the rail pressure is in spec helps point a direction to head in.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      pull and clean the VST & filter
      or at least drain it to see if there is water or trash in there, since this happened after a fill up.
      checking to see if the rail pressure is in spec helps point a direction to head in.

Thank you! is "checking the rail pressure" the same as checking the fuel pressure from the valve at the top of the VST?

Comment

Hi - I have what I believe to be an HPDi pump issue and need help please. Engine runs fine until you try and open it up and no power. The boat is in Greece and I brought the pump home hoping someone in the UK could fix it but I have only found a company in USA and I don't want to risk posting it there at the moment for a rebuild. So I noticed that one chap pulled his apart and found it was sticky piston - just wanted to know how easy/difficult that was to do - any tips would be welcome. Ps I have got a set of the mystery filters so it may have just been those but the original problem was caused by water in the fuel - left the boat over winter not realising the amount of condensation that had collected in the tank and I started up the engine and the water alarm went off. So I replaced the injectors but the pump could have gotten corroded inside maybe?
        Appreciate your help or anyone's please!

Comment

Working...
        X