PreMix or keep Injection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PreMix or keep Injection?

I'm going through a 1989 175ETXF and am wondering how reliable the oil injection system is at this age. Local dealer says its the most reliable system out there. Others say don't chance it and disconnect and premix your fuel. Anyone out there still running an old motor without issues? Thanks in advance.

Why trust something that has worked perfectly for 30 years? Leave it on, repair it if necessary.

Comment

gear driven pump off of the crankshaft.
      crank turns and oil pump should too.

but the pump if old
      if you are rebuilding the motor, I would replace the oil pump.

who would not replace the oil pump when rebuilding any motor that old

Comment

This is a 1989 motor. Replacing the oil pump is not an option. There are no new main parts for the injection system I've found. I don't know if has worked perfectly for thirty years. If it did it might still be in service instead of sitting for years. Are there any plastic parts from the crank to and including the pump? I am not rebuilding the motor, just trying to keep from doing damage firing it up. Carbs have been rebuilt. New fuel pumps. New fuel pluming. Compression is good. Water came from discharge when i bought it. How it ran with the dirty carbs I don't know. . New oil lines ordered. Can' locate the check valves in the oil lines yet. Again I ask, "Does anyone out there have a 1989 175 Yamaha that still has a functioning oil injection system." Local mechanic won't even touch that old of outboard. Thanks in advance

Comment

What is the model of the motor?

Comment

If the operation of the autolube system is questionable or a worry to you then start by running the motor with a tank of 50:1 gas\ oil premix....it won’t hurt the motor other than make a bit more smoke....

Comment

The motor is a 175ETXF from 1989.

Comment

I don't have that engine. I know a few people with engines as old as that though and the autolube system still working fine. Big difference is most I know use their engines on a regular bases...they have not sat around for years, then fired back up, that's when the trouble starts.

Is there not a test in the Service manual where you measure how much oil is being pumped over a certain time frame while running the engine on a portable tank with premix in it? Do you have a Yamaha service manual?

Seems like you are doing all the things required to bring this engine back to life.

If it is no big deal to mix gas all the time for you...and it gives you peace of mind, disconnect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lifesave View Post
                  This is a 1989 motor. Replacing the oil pump is not an option. There are no new main parts for the injection system I've found. I don't know if has worked perfectly for thirty years. If it did it might still be in service instead of sitting for years. Are there any plastic parts from the crank to and including the pump? I am not rebuilding the motor, just trying to keep from doing damage firing it up. Carbs have been rebuilt. New fuel pumps. New fuel pluming. Compression is good. Water came from discharge when i bought it. How it ran with the dirty carbs I don't know. . New oil lines ordered. Can' locate the check valves in the oil lines yet. Again I ask, "Does anyone out there have a 1989 175 Yamaha that still has a functioning oil injection system." Local mechanic won't even touch that old of outboard. Thanks in advance
                  Not true. There is an oil pump conversion kit available from Yamaha.
                  zop.jpg

Comment

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/6G5-W1320-00-00

Comment

well if I was to bring an old motor back to life without overhauling it just to see how well it runs, I would premix like Robert said.
                      measure the oil usage to see if it is doing what it is suppose to.

if it has a problem, then remove the oil pump & drive shaft and defeat the float switches so alarm and rpm limit does not come in.
                      if it works and is clean run it , making sure to monitor usage from time to time.

replacing the pump is an option if motor turns out to be a good one after all those years of sitting.

cylinder walls and rings can rust, so can bearings on the crank if the motor is not stored properly

Comment

Boscoe99
                        I ordered a Mikuni pump from Boats.net. Had some issues with my thermostat bolts but am getting close to test run. Have decided to run premix and test for oil output through the lines. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X