Too much oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much oil...

Hi, New to the forum, thanks for having me.

I have a new to me boat with twin 2001 200 hp HPDIs.

Model Z200TXRZ
    Serial # 6G6X104757

Prior to purchase, I had a Yamaha tech inspect the motors and they came back with good results. I also had a pre purchase survey done and the surveyor suggested that the scupper drain hoses be replaced before the boat was launched. In order to access the hoses, I lifted the oil tanks up out of the back storage area and onto the deck - one on top of the other. I now know that gravity will cause oil to flow from the reserve into the main tank. I had oil (on one engine only) dripping out of the exhaust. Thinking that I only needed to burn off the excess oil after re assembling and launching, I fired the engines up. The one I flooded with oil smoked a lot then settled down to be only slightly more smoky than the other. I let them idle at the dock for about 10 minutes and the engine quit. Now, I can not start it, It fires and smokes for about one second and dies. I would appreciate your advice.

Might clean/replace the "problem motors" spark plugs first.

If, on start up, you can get the idle a bit higher than normal (within reason), should help burn off excess oil on start up..

Once started, I run them at least at a high idle or better yet, take the boat out and run it...

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

even if the motor tank over fills, how does that put oil into the cylinders?
      maybe you have some check valves that are bad.

when you pull the spark plugs, pay attention to which cylinders they came out of, and see if some are oily.
      spin the motor over to see if any excess oil comes out the holes
      Last edited by 99yam40; 06-18-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X