Shifter "lock out" in 2008 Top mount con*****er for 115/80 Yamaha OB Jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter "lock out" in 2008 Top mount con*****er for 115/80 Yamaha OB Jet

I have an aggravating problem... My 2008 Yamaha (115/80, 4 stroke) powered river jet boat takes several seconds (after starting) to settle down to idle speed before the con*****er (binnacle) will allow me to shift into gear. I understand this is to protect the gears in a normal prop driven boat, but I have a factory jet-drive on my motor which is ALWAYS turning (direct drive) no matter what position the shifter is in. My problem is, I can't always afford the several seconds of "wait time" before I can apply throttle and avoid rocks, trees, etc. while on the river. Since there are NO GEARS to protect, is there a way to disable/defeat this lock-out feature?
    Last edited by Average Joe; 06-15-2020, 02:02 PM.

strange, but I never heard of a shift lockout before on an outboard.
    people could shift when ever they wanted, but were advised not to shift until the RPM dropped down.

when did this lockout come into design, and how did they limit the shifter from moving?

maybe a fly by wire control would give the ECU the ability to monitor motor parameters and RPM and lmit the shifting

and on a jet, how does neutral work if the pump is putting out all the time
    Last edited by 99yam40; 06-15-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Looking at a parts diagram (don't know your model #) : https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...-pump/f115tjrd

but it doesn't show a separate/different contr0ller for the jet drive...Doesn't show any(just like OB's either)

If your somewhat mechanically inclined and you know it's the binnacle not allowing the shift, I'd pull it apart and see exactly what inside the box is activated when cold), LOCKING UP the shifter.) Disable / hot-wire/remove, depending on what's inside..

As noted above, Yamaha binnacles will allow you to physically shift, even at a higher than idle RPM..

Is your binnacle a Yamaha branded unit?

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My binnacle is the same as for a regular outboard. It is a 2008, fuel injected 4 stroke, with cable controls for shifting and throttle. When the shifter is in the "neutral" position, the flow diverter on the jet "splits" the water flow (half goes forward & half goes backward) to average out to neutral. The impeller is direct drive, keyed to a solid shaft that is splined to spin with the engine. Shifting only swings the diverter piece back and forth for forward and reverse. I panicked once and forced the shifter too hard trying to go forward, and broke off the little plastic piece that connects the shift cable inside the binnacle. I had to go in reverse all the way back to the boat ramp! It seems to keep you from shifting into gear for around 8-10 seconds, immediately after cranking the engine. That seems like an eternity when you're drifting towards a big rock, or a shallow place.

Comment

My binnacle looks to be a Yamaha 704 top-mount type.

Comment

well you might need to go to a jet drive web site, because an outboard does not have a shift disable during high idle.

thinking about this some more, maybe you have a neutral start switch out of adjustment,
            but that would not keep the shifter from moving

Comment

Working...
            X