Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha giving me nothing on 3rd cylinder

Hi all,

I have done a lot of diagnostics with my 1990 90hp Yamaha 3 cylinder 2 stroke so I wanted to see if people had any idea where my issue could lie.

Getting nothing out of the third cylinder right now. First and second cylinder are running. Diagnosed this by taking off the plugs while the motor is running and there’s no change when the third plug boot comes off. Checked fuel pump, and the diaphragm is completely fine. Have changed spark plugs, and switched coil packs and the problem persists in the third cylinder. Compression is at an even 100psi on each cylinder. There is good spark from the spark plug as well. Just took apart the whole third cylinder carburetor and it was clean but I still went through and cleaned everything and the problem persists. Fuel supply to the carbs is also not an issue.

Which leads me to this. I feel as though this has to be electrical and maybe the third cylinder is firing at the wrong time or there’s another issue causing this. If y’all had any input that would be greatly appreciated. Running out of ideas now. With these old two strokes the only real things I’ve learned are fuel, compression, and spark and since it seems that all three of them are fine, I’m thinking timing could be one of my only options. Thanks!

Strange problem there....were the reed valves O.K. When you had the carb off?...maybe a restriction in the fuel line to that carb? Mine is a 1999 C90 very similar to yours and I'll be very interested and curious what is causing this....keep us posted...

Comment

You could try the multiple things suggested on "the other site" first, but, you never know, extra minds often help.

Comment

timing light will show when #3 is sparking.
        flywheel should be marked for TDC for al 3 if not mark it yourself
        compression, good spark at the correct time , and proper fuel to air ratio is needed.
        too much fuel or not enough will keep it from burning.
        spray some fuel into #3 carb to see if that helps, pinching off the line to #3 carb might help if too much fuel.

there are crank seals that can go bad, and could lean out the cylinder possibly

Comment

After all that, I took carb three and put it on cylinder 2 and bam, cylinder two stopped working. Looks like although I disassembled the carb and cleaned it already, that the problem is still in the carb. Well good news is I’ve finally located the issue, now I’ll go back in and clean it with a full kit and if that doesn’t fix it, I may just replace the whole thing. Thanks so much for everyone’s input. I really appreciate it.

Comment

let us know what you find in the carb
            heated sonic cleaner may be needed after taking it completely apart

Comment

Working...
            X