Identifying a motor, and cleaning carburettor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a motor, and cleaning carburettor

I'm reviving my brother's motor that's been sitting for 4 years. It ran briefly but fuel is pouring out of the carb. I'm assuming it needs a rebuild and I have the kit for it.

I'm fairly experienced working on motorcycles but have never touched an outboard before. Should be similar right? :-) But I can't reach or even feel with my fingers a bolt that should be on the inside of the air intake tube, attaching it to the carb. I need to know how to get that tube off without dismantling half the engine.

I've been looking for videos or service manual but have found nothing helpful. Also, I can't find any reference anywhere (parts listings or service manuals) to the exact model - F25AET - am I looking in the wrong place for the model number? What do these codes tell me?

IMG_20200614_114653-01.jpeg

F25AET is the model identity. Primary Identification Number is 65WL 401613.

In what part of the world do you reside? Canada maybe? That is not a model that was ever distributed within the USA.

To get the exact parts catalog and service manual you would have to contact a Yamaha dealer in the country that originally sold it.

Comment

Great, Thanks. I'm in Australia. Odd that nothing turns up in Google!

Comment

If it the setup I am thinking of, then you need a 6-8" extension (wobble drive) for your 10 mm bolt that is round the back side that hold the intake breather and carb on.

You can get it with a long 1/4" drive extension like described above.

Good Luck and report back with your findings!

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          If it the setup I am thinking of, then you need a 6-8" extension (wobble drive) for your 10 mm bolt that is round the back side that hold the intake breather and carb on.

You can get it with a long 1/4" drive extension like described above.

Good Luck and report back with your findings!
          Thanks, I can't see anything there and can't feel a bolt head there even when I squeeze my fingers in. I'll check again...

Comment

OK got it - carb comes off with the intake tube attached, then it can be removed. I'd seen a youtube video where the tube was removed with the carb still attached, but that must have been a different motor... cos it's really not possible to reach that inside bolt with the carb still attached.

Comment

Working...
            X