Low Voltage at Oil Transfer Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Voltage at Oil Transfer Pump

Have 1989 twin 150 ETXF on 1989 Grady. Oil transfer pump on one motor not working. Sensor in engine tank and emergency switch don’t work. Low voltage (~7.5v) at pump. Also have 7.5v at oil pump harness connector in engine pan. So no issue with harness. Disconnected 10-pin connector in engine pan. Measured ~12v on red pin on male side of connector. Jumpered 12+ on male side to the corresponding pin on female side of connector. Then measured ~12v at yellow (key on) pin on female side of connector. So all good at the 10-pin connector in engine pan with key on. Seems that problem is with the brown wire In the oil transfer connector in the engine pan. Again, only about 7.5v across the brown wire and ground (connected directly to battery to eliminate bad ground). Tough to see where the brown wire goes from the connector. Seems to travel around to other side of engine to a connector that leads to oil control module. My next action is going to be to switch oil control modules between engines thinking that the source of the low voltage could be in the module. Anybody find any flaws in my troubleshooting or recommend something else before switching modules? Many thanks.

Would appreciate any assistance in helping me find the splice between the brown wire on oil transfer connector in engine pan and the yellow wire on 10-pin connector in engine pan. I unwrapped the factory tape back about 10” and don’t see it. Thx.

Comment

ocex.jpg

Comment

I am guessing from the drawing that #5 or #8 has the connection inside of it since the dashed lines
        that confuses me

Comment

Boscoe99, thanks for your input. However, I don’t understand it. Still trying to locate the splice from the brown wire on the oil transfer connector (4-pin) In the engine pan to the yellow wire coming from the 10-pin connector in the engine pan. Won’t be back at the boat until Saturday to resume search.

Comment

Are you not seeing this information in your service manual?

Comment

I’ll look in the manual tomorrow when I’m at the boat. A prior post on this site indicated that the splice would be “6” aft“ of the 10 pin connector in engine pan. I’ve unwrapped the factory black tape at least 10” and don’t see it. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Not your specific model but here is a diagram that shows the key on power yellow wire from the ten pin connector to the CDI, the oil control module and the tachometer.
                zyel.jpg

Comment

I applied 12v directly from battery to the yellow wire male pin in the 10-pin harness. For some reason, I have no voltage at the 3-way yellow wire splice just 6” away from 10-pin connector! Splice looks good. I figure that if no voltage at yellow wire splice, then voltage will never be present at brown wire to oil pump. See photo below. Stumped.

Comment

if no 12 + at the splice, is there 12 + at the 10 pin connector coming from the key?
                    or does it come from originate from somewhere else.

Seems it would be easy to see where the 12+ disappeared

Comment

Yes, with key on there is 12v at the yellow wire pin on the female 10-pin connector .

Comment

If I am understanding the the system correctly, it appears that the voltage is lost within the male side of 10-pin connector. Hard to imagine as the connector looks very robust. I have voltage on the yellow wire pin on the female side coming from dash with the key on. When I mate the connector there is no voltage at the 3-way splice on the yellow wire just 6” from connector.

Comment

sounds like you found the problem

I have heard of a bad connection in the splice before, but not the pin connection.
                          I guess it can happen anywhere

are you sure the bad place is not in the splice?

Comment

99yam40: The splice is shown below with the rubber boot pulled back. I must have probed that splice 100 times but couldn’t get any voltage. I read in a different post that that splice could be problematic but I don’t think so here.

Comment

did you probe the wire itself from the pin connector at the splice just to be sure.

the splice could not be making connection to the wire.

the connection problem can be anywhere

Comment

Working...
                              X