Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with Yamaha outboard ox66 250 horsepower, 2 stroke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Yamaha outboard ox66 250 horsepower, 2 stroke.

Hi, I've got a 1989 Scarab 30 sport.i need help with my 2001 Yamaha ox66 2 stroke outboard. Everything was running great but I clearly messed up something up. It happened right after I did a seafoam treatment. In the past week I've replaced VST filter, fuel filter, replaced all spark plugs with ngks sparks, everything was running as it should, but then I got the dumb idea to run seafoam treatment through 5 gallon gasoline bucket so seafoam mixed in with fuel and yes yamalube was automatically used in the reservoir. I ran it three times in 15 minute intervals, three different times the same day and called it a day. Wake up the next day to try to start the engine and sure enough no ignition. I hear a electronic clicking but no fire off. I saw I'd be removing the fuel from the fuel filter and the VST filter compartment and adding fresh fuel as in no seafoam or anything else just fresh fuel with no luck. Purge the old fuel with potential seafoam from fuel injectors, fuel line, VST filter housing, fuel filter and from water fuel separating container. Also replace the fuel in the water in fuel separator just to be sure, still no ignition. Also tried starter fluid in the intake no ignition. Here's a video link of a short video what it sounds like when turning the key on this engine. I also checked and replaced the spark plugs again just in case they got fouled because of the seafoam. Also checked the fuel injectors, they are spraying properly! I got nothing as to how to fix this.. I'm at a loss and out of ideas. Here's the link for the video. https://youtu.be/iCjfLRkvfF8
    Last edited by Taylor-scarab; 06-11-2020, 05:34 AM.

Sounds like you have no spark, especially with "no kick" with starting fluid (BTW, not good, no lube, use a sprayer with pre-mix).

Pull the plugs, ground them to the block and crank over (will need some help) looking for spark

* I believe some cylinders on that engine don't spark at idle so check all of them.

Also, can't really tell from the video but is the battery fully charged/ spinning over at normal speed?

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

All spark plugs on that engine were replaced a week ago and then since this happened I replace them again just to be sure with suggested NGK spark plugs. Battery was and is fully charged, I know so, because I tested it with battery charger yesterday. I'll try what you suggested, taking the spark plugs out and grounding them to the block, I'll have to YouTube that because I have no idea how to do that.

Comment

sounds to me like the starter is spinning but just not engaging the flywheel.
        even you wrote that it is just clicking.

seems that the motor cannot start if the starter is not turning the motor over

Comment

I agree with Yam40. Starter is turning but not engaging with the ring gear on the fly wheel to turn it over. Can you take a video in the daylight?

Comment

Re-listening to the video (can't see much), agreed, that starter is just spinning and not engaging the flywheel...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Some of the best yamys ever made.. DO NOT watch U.T. for engine repair !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If was that simple or easy, or you would not be posting here. I have watched (as a master tech) a few vids in the off season in b.c.s. killing time as winter passes,, and was/I'm in shock to what I saw about outboard repair. Even from shops. DO You want your 727 jet mechanic watching utube engine repair vid's.......get a grip !! WAAAKkE uup

Comment

looks like Keith has been up late & in the rum again

Comment

Hi, 99. Makes me think of "get Smart" No,, I stopped drinking the hard stuff about 2 yrs now. Just insomnia and tired. Glad to sea ur still kicking mate. U post good stuff!!

Comment

yep, been awhile since you posted.
                    I am still kicking down here in Tx
                    should have been 86 but that was not the year model of my C 40

Comment

Well done, you guys got it. That's exactly what was happening. The starter wasn't popping up to engage the flywheel. So I loosened it up with some pliers and some walk engine spray and it popped up and is running smoothly now. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X