Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 F25ESH wont start unless tilted up

Hello everyone!

I have a 2003 F25ESH that started having an issue a few weeks ago. As the title says it will only start if I have the motor tilted all the way up. It wont start tilted down. And if I start it tilted up and then lower it, it bogs down and dies. I thought it was the float so I replaced float, needle, carb gaskets, and cleaned the carb and jets. Issue still remains. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

too much back pressure maybe when lowered into the water.

have you checked compression or leak down test to make sure motor is in good condition?

Comment

I have not, dont have the tools to that myself. It ran fine until recent oil change and lower unit oil change.

Comment

does this happen out of the water too?
        or is it while boat is in the water

Comment

In water and when out of water on muffs.

Comment

Did you check battery cables, engine wire harness where they leave the engine and are flexing as engine is tilted up and down? Fuel hose as well...same location.

Comment

I can check again tomorrow, but I didnt notice anything getting pinched when I was looking at it this morning. I was mainly looking at the gas line though

Comment

0nly thing I can say is a volt meter checking voltage to the starter, relay , and start button would let you know what is going on during all of this

Comment

You think it could be starter issue even though it will start with tileted up? It will still crank when titled down, just not turn over.

Comment

If I am reading it right, the starter is working in both up and down positions, but it will not run when down?

Check for spark when down to eliminate that, before chasing fuel problem.

Comment

That is correct Panasonic.

Comment

I have the the lower unit removed at the moment to do a watee pump and impeller rebuild. Waiting on the parts. Once I get that and get it put back together I will check spark.

Comment

OK so we now know that the motor spins with the starter, but does not fire/start .

who changed the oil and lower unit lube?
                          are you sure it has oil in the motor?
                          but then I do not think lack of oil would keep it from starting.
                          and I cannot think of anything someone could do to a motor while doing oil and lube to keep it from starting

If there was water in the fuel bowl it would change positions when tilted up and back down.
                          that is the only thing I can think of off hand right now dealing with fuel ,if it does have spark

Comment

I changed the oil and lower unit oil myself. As well as replaced float, needle, gaskets. Carb looked clean when I had it apart. I originally thought float was getting stuck, so I replaced all of that. I dont see how it beings tilted up vs not would effect spark. But I will double check that once my impeller and other parts come in and I get the lower unit back on it.

Comment

2003 F25ESH https://imgur.com/a/SfQXTds

Comment

Working...
                              X