Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW F130A Olie - and Very High RPM

Thanks for membership

We have never had a boat before, we explicitly told that to the dealer!
    we are frustrated that our new boat cannot sail as his promised us!
    Is it normal for a Yamaha engine to use 0.7 liters of oil on 50 hours of blade *****ing fishing and boating with the family. The dealer did 20 hours of service when the boat and engine had sailed 74 hours! The dealer said that nothing could happen to the engine.

We have sailed in a new Jeanneau merry fisher with a Yamaha F130A from March 25, 2020!
    Today we had mechanics for 100 hours service (Again they was late128 hours) and he put engine tests on and told that the engine had been running at 6800 RPM for 5.20 hours!
    I'm pretty sure we've never had the boat higher than 6500 RPM.
    we have had 3 different sizes propellers since marts testet!!
    ((13 1/2 K14 (6500 RPM) 13 1/2 K16 (6100 RMP) and now a 13 K17 (5800 RMP) ))
    The boat have not sailet more than 12 knots with 2 adults 2 children under 10 years.

when i fishing alone I can get the boat up and sail 22-25 knots.

Automatic trim flaps are mounted....

Are there any here there can help us find the reason why the mechanics measure 6800 RPM
    I have never looked at our 6Y8 TACH and see RPM so High!!!

Many thanks and greetings from Denmark, Ambrosius family

Strange stuff.
    There is no F130 here in the USA -
    but seems it is the F115B with some more HP squeezed out

In any case:

- what you see on the 6Y8 tach, is exactly what the engine ECM 'says' the rpm is

- I don't have specifics for the F130 model,
    I would expect the ECM program to not allow rpm to exceed 6500 rpm.

Perhaps on that model Yamaha raised the rev limit?
    But you should have seen that on the tach...

Comment

Did the motor actually use/consume 0,7 liters of oil or is that what you are seeing on the dip stick? What is making you think that it is consuming oil? Many Yam owners have just the opposite problem where the oil level increases.

I suspect that the tachometer is suspect.
      zor.jpg

Comment

zf130.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Perhaps.

but if it is indeed the 6Y8 tach,
          then the ECM is outputting, via CL/NMEA 2000, an erroneous value

Comment

Did the motor actually use/consume 0,7 liters of oil or is that what you are seeing on the dip stick? What is making you think that it is consuming oil? Many Yam owners have just the opposite problem where the oil level increases.

zor.jpg

Comment

The picture shows about 2.3 liters from engine + 0.2 liters in oil filter

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                Strange stuff.
                There is no F130 here in the USA -
                but seems it is the F115B with some more HP squeezed out

In any case:

- what you see on the 6Y8 tach, is exactly what the engine ECM 'says' the rpm is

- I don't have specifics for the F130 model,
                I would expect the ECM program to not allow rpm to exceed 6500 rpm.

Perhaps on that model Yamaha raised the rev limit?
                But you should have seen that on the tach...
                On the test computer, engine timer 125 showed the picture I received today! my memory says that TACH stands at 130 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosius DK View Post
                  Thanks for membership

We have never had a boat before, we explicitly told that to the dealer!
                  we are frustrated that our new boat cannot sail as his promised us!
                  Is it normal for a Yamaha engine to use 0.7 liters of oil on 50 hours of blade *****ing fishing and boating with the family. The dealer did 20 hours of service when the boat and engine had sailed 74 hours! The dealer said that nothing could happen to the engine.

We have sailed in a new Jeanneau merry fisher with a Yamaha F130A from March 25, 2020!
                  Today we had mechanics for 100 hours service (Again they was late128 hours) and he put engine tests on and told that the engine had been running at 6800 RPM for 5.20 hours!
                  I'm pretty sure we've never had the boat higher than 6500 RPM.
                  we have had 3 different sizes propellers since marts testet!!
                  ((13 1/2 K14 (6500 RPM) 13 1/2 K16 (6100 RMP) and now a 13 K17 (5800 RMP) ))
                  The boat have not sailet more than 12 knots with 2 adults 2 children under 10 years.

when i fishing alone I can get the boat up and sail 22-25 knots.

Automatic trim flaps are mounted....

Are there any here there can help us find the reason why the mechanics measure 6800 RPM
                  I have never looked at our 6Y8 TACH and see RPM so High!!!

Many thanks and greetings from Denmark, Ambrosius family
                  what did the dealer promise you that it does not do?

I am not sure what
                  blade *****ing fishing is
                  128 hours is a lot of time in just 3 months, but it is possible .

did you follow the break in procedures when you 1st got the boat?

what length/width, and weight is the boat and what HP is this boat rated for?

are you sure you set up the auto trim tabs properly

12 knots is not very fast, are you sure the trim tabs are not fully deployed causing a lot of drag?

is there a reason you did not take the motor in for service when it was due for service?
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 06-05-2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

Perhaps.

but if it is indeed the 6Y8 tach,
                    then the ECM is outputting, via CL/NMEA 2000, an erroneous value
                    Just a wild eyed guess on my part regarding the tachometer.

If the propeller becomes unloaded, say when running at high speeds where the boat comes out of the water, the engine RPM can exceed the normal limits. The computer is simply not quick enough to keep it from over speeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosius DK View Post
                      Very easy to add too much oil to a Yam four stroke. Particularly if a certain procedure is not used to thoroughly drain the old oil before new oil gets added. I suspect that you are not really consuming as much oil as you suspect.

Comment

If the propeller becomes unloaded, say when running at high speeds where the boat comes out of the water, the engine RPM can exceed the normal limits. The computer is simply not quick enough to keep it from over speeding.
                        Ahh. Of course.

I was a bit sleepy when I read the first post this morning:
                        the OP (and apparently, his mechanic) are misinterpreting the YDIS info:

"he put engine tests on and told that the engine had been running at 6800 RPM for 5.20 hours!"

Of course it didn't run at 6800 rpm for 5.2 hours -

it hit 6800 AT 5.2 hours -

no doubt during the propeller testing.

Comment

5.20 hours is a long time to have the prop jumping up out of the water.

Edit
                          just read what fairdeal wrote about at 5.20 hours
                          maybe that is what it said
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 06-05-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

5.20 hours is a long time to have the prop jumping up out of the water
                            As I belatedly remembered,

when the ECM records the highest rpm 'seen to date',

it records also "the age of the engine" (in hours)

at the moment of occurrence.

Comment

Working...
                            X