Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 yamaha 70tlrs 2 stroke hard first start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 yamaha 70tlrs 2 stroke hard first start.

My 70hp outboard I just bought is hard to start the first time of the day then after that it fires up almost instantly when I turn the key. It doesn't seem to have a normal choke system. Could anyone enlighten me on how the choke system works or what I'm doing wrong? I've messed with the fast idol at different speeds and hold the choke button but I don't think it does anything.

I just fired it up in the driveway and it was idling at 2000 rpm and sputtering a little bit. Do I just need to take the carbs apart and clean them?

Comment

on a new to me motor I would check compression on all cylinders, while spark plugs are out inspect them( clean or buy new),
      check fuel pump to make sure it does not leak fuel into the crankcase, check to make sure all linkages are set properly, and check to make sure timing is in spec.
      read the owners manual and get a service manual for that motor if you plan on doing anything to it yourself.

owners manual should tell how to start motor .
      Prime Start is automatic, no need for you to do anything except pump the primer bulb until firm, and then turn the key to start for a few seconds.
      may take 2 or 3 turns of the key to start motor.

opening the fast idle lever can add to much air for cold start

Comment

Make sure you have the Primestart lever in the normal/automatic pasition....

Comment

Working...
        X