Not even a click when trying to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not even a click when trying to start

First launch of the season didn't start well. The ignition is completly dead. Not even a click. The battery is fully charged.

I found a 10A glas fuse in the box on the engine that was blown. Everything is completely dead also after replacing it.

I got some "help" putting the everything together and +/- were mixed up when connecting the battery. This was corrected before the ignition switch was turned.

Outboards are not my home turf. I got as far as checking that cabels are leading voltage to the starter relay, but don't really know wher to look next to find the fault.
    What could wrong? How do I check it?

Can I short circuit the starter relay? If that would start the motor, does it tell me that the fault is in the ignition switch or dead mans grip?

I have Yamaha 60hp twostroke 1989
    60FEO
    6H2
    S

did you check to see if the fuse is blown again, after correcting the battery cables mix up?

Comment

I attempted to start after the battery connection was corrected. I then found the blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and tried starting again. The motor was still completly dead.

Comment

Is there any lights/beep when the ignition is switched on?

Comment

There's going to be a larger amp fuse, especially for just the starter, probably a 30.

Your engines not listed on this US parts site so look closely around the engine (especially the electrical side) for another fuse holder..
          That'll likely be blown....

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

There are no lights or beeps even when the motor is working normally.

Comment

I asked for manual in this Forum a few years ago and was advised to Google for a Yamaha 60F. I found a manual for 60C 6H2-28197-1F-11 , LIT-18616-02-66 that seems to match.

Comment

There's going to be a larger amp fuse, especially for just the starter, probably a 30.

Your engines not listed on this US parts site so look closely around the engine (especially the electrical side) for another fuse holder..
                That'll likely be blown....
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would check the ignition switch for 12v + with a volt meter.
                  if no power there, chase it back to see what is keeping it from getting there

Comment

I took a jumper cable from battery plus to the lower connection on the start motor which then kicked in! I then put a screw driver ower the start relay, I didn't get a good connection but achieved a click. After that I tried the regular ignition which then performed as usuall. I guess the relay was stuck.
                    Now everything is OK !

Comment

good it is working again, but that is very confusing
                      I would have never guessed a stuck relay

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        good it is working again, but that is very confusing
                        I would have never guessed a stuck relay
                        Perhaps the sticking was actually the contacts fusing together by excess current that reversing power leads may have been created before dedicated fuse(s) blew.

Comment

Working...
                        X