Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F15 bogs down and sputters with throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F15 bogs down and sputters with throttle?

I have a 2015 Yamaha F15 (Electric Start) that will not run right; I just put a new gas tank, new fuel filter, all new fuel, new spark plugs, carburetor jets just cleaned.

Engine seems to run okay (or at least better, but not great) when I first start it, but after a minute or two it will bog and sputter as soon as you give it gas - sometimes if you feather the throttle you can get it past that mid range and keep it revved up at the high end okay - or, sometimes it will just get there and die out. It acts like its starving for fuel.

I think the reason it runs better at first is due to the Yamaha prime starter needle allowing more fuel - so it seems to maybe have a lean condition once warmed up. I have turned over the starter with the fuel pump line unhooked from the carb and the fuel pump seems to meter out a steady amount of fuel - though its not high pressure, just kind of a small slow stream (again using the electric starter); I also have tried squeezing the fuel hose bulb during the bogging, but this has no affect.

The engine always starts up first turn, idles great. It really does seem like a carburetor issue still, but I just can't see how - the jets are super clean, the float function looked okay, etc. - unless there is something deeper in the carb that could cause this.

I am kind of at a loss as to what to do next - any help or ideas would be appreciated!
    Last edited by intotheblue; 05-30-2020, 11:36 PM.

carb needs to be cleaned properly.
    heated sonic cleaner might be a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      carb needs to be cleaned properly.
      heated sonic cleaner might be a good idea
      Thanks for this info; are there basically small passages or hidden areas in these small carbs that you can't really get to when cleaning with carb spray, is that the reason?

Comment

Originally posted by intotheblue View Post

Thanks for this info; are there basically small passages or hidden areas in these small carbs that you can't really get to when cleaning with carb spray, is that the reason?
        Yes, ^^^....

Using a small jet tool, (see below) is also very helpful.

Was their much varnish inside the carb?

Capture.JPG
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Yes, ^^^....

Using a small jet tool, (see below) is also very helpful.

Was their much varnish inside the carb?

Thanks, yes I'll have to pick one of those up.

There was very little if any varnish, the fuel was old though and saw some tiny micro flakes of debris in the fuel filter and bowl; I ran half a bottle of carb cleaner through the jets, etc. and compressed air - so they have zero obstructions of any kind; if it is the carb then there must be some other obstruction or passage that is blocked? I am actually going to take it back apart right now for a second look as you guys got me thinking.

Comment

Can anyone tell me where the timing pointer is for the flywheel timing marks? The flywheel has 5 and 30 degree marks etc., but there appears to be no pointer to line up a timing light with; I found an old manual for 99+ F15's that shows a pointer on a non-electric start model, but mine has nothing in this area.

If there is no pointer for the flywheel, then is there just a way to confirm timing? I can line up the camshaft sprocket timing, but again not sure where the flywheel should be at TDC as it has no pointer.

Just trying to make sure the belt hasn't jumped a tooth as I ran it more today after cleaning the carb a second time and adding a new fuel hose and it ran better, but has a popping/light backfire at times when coming off high throttle - makes me think it could be more of a timing or coil issue at this point as my carb looks like new inside.
            Last edited by intotheblue; 05-31-2020, 02:42 PM.

Comment

This may help:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/842754/Yamaha-F15a.html

Your going to have to dig deeper for the flywheel info..

Capture.JPG
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-31-2020, 05:58 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for looking this up; I just figured this out - the timing pointer is on the plastic flywheel cover... I have had it off the last days while test running. The thing that threw me off too was that in the manual it shows more of a built in pointer or such as shown in the center illustration on this page - guess some have that style rather than on the cover;

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/84...ter&selected=1

So, my timing looks good; the popping noises I heard today make me want to check valve clearances next though.
                Last edited by intotheblue; 05-31-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

popping?
                  could be a lean sneeze maybe

Comment

Working...
                  X