2004 Yamaha 40 hp two stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Yamaha 40 hp two stroke

I recently bought a boat with a 40 hp on it. The skag is broken off but the motor runs fine. Is it ok to run it with the broke skag? And also, can you replace the lower casing on it and roughly how much would that cost? TIA

Originally posted by Grafto4408 View Post
    I recently bought a boat with a 40 hp on it. The skag is broken off but the motor runs fine. Is it ok to run it with the broke skag? And also, can you replace the lower casing on it and roughly how much would that cost? TIA
    You can run it W/O it but your prop has no protection and steering will be compromised.
    I wouldn't replace the lower unit, unless internally damaged..

As long as you have a little bit of skeg left there, I'd install a Skeggard: https://skeggard.com/:

You simply drill thru the LU (skeg area pretty close to the thicker housing) with the guard in place and then bolt it up.

*The only downside I've found is I lost ONE MPH on the top end (a knats hair more drag).

I also had mine custom made with the drain hole at the REAR(as shown in my pic). No extra charge..
    Mine is stored on a lift with the engine trimmed down so I wanted drainage as well, out the rear.

Most come with the drain at the front, (where sand/dirt can pack if run aground).

I didn't have any damage to mine (but was always loosing paint off the bottom), mine installed:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-29-2020, 07:29 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X