Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha 2stroke 60HP RPM Issue

Hello!

I’m having a problem with my 1998 60HP 2 stroke Yamaha. A year ago I had her serviced; carbs cleaned, new hoses, fuel tank drained and cleaned and more and she ran perfect the couple times I took it out after that. Unfortunately she sat for about 10 months and recently when I take her out she fires right up first try but doesn’t want to go past 2k rpms for the first 10ish minutes and then she randomly jumps up and runs fine. There was less than half a tank of ethanol free gas left in there with Stabil and I topped it off with clean ethanol free gas before we took it out. I know for sure I have used up any of that old gas but I’m still having the same problem where she revs perfect in neutral but in gear she won’t get up and go for a little while. Once it does go past 2k rpms she runs like a dream and I have no problems at all for the rest of the day.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Matt

Re-clean the carbs, they have varnish/crap in em...

I never had a good experience with Stabil and would keep far away from it (but that's me).
    As your experiencing now, 10 month old fuel(a bit old), E-Free with Stabil isn't/aint' cutting it.--

Also, adding good fuel to bad fuel equals more BAD FUEL... Dump it all and start over once the carbs are re-cleaned..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I see a C,E, and P 60 in 98.
      which do you have?
      oil injected or premix?
      prime start or choke?

have you checked your fuel pump?
      changed the plugs or at least looked at them ?
      watched the timing with a light to see if timing is advancing when RPM is limited?
      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-25-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X