X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 hpdi only runs while starter is engaged

As soon as I let it go to run position it stalls

difficult for me to imagine what that might sound like -
    the engine 'running' - and the starter motor still power...

if in fact the motor 'runs' with the key in the start position,
    but stops when the key is released to the run position,
    I would replace the keyswitch.

Comment

The mechanic that came out bypassed the key switch with his own and he bypassed the neutral switch. Sometimes it will run for a couple mins but mostly just cuts out when starter stops

Comment

I was told that I need to start with a new harness and that there were a few grounds hooked up wrong. Maybe fried a wire? Or just need to fire my mechanic. This has been a nightmare

Comment

Is the engine new to you? The year of the engine?

If not, how long have you owned it and any prior issues?

.Any indication of the engine being submerged(water/corrosion about the powerhead)?

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It’s a 2005. Brand new power head, I’m sure it has something to do with the install of powerhead, Thanks for reply.

Comment

Yep, someone didn't rig something correct...

I think I'd find another mechanic....
              Scott

Comment

Would a new harness be going in the right direction? I can’t find a mechanic in Ft Lauderdale so I might be on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Panth411 View Post
                  Would a new harness be going in the right direction? I can’t find a mechanic in Ft Lauderdale so I might be on my own.

The harness worked before the new powerhead with no issues, correct?

The new powerhead gets installed, all of a sudden, the harness is bad??

Unless he pinched the harness/installed it wrong, etc. The old harness is likely fine...

If you can't do the work/testing yourself, I'd find someone competent, even if you have to travel..
                  Throwing parts (not needed), gets expensive real quick...

Scott

Comment

Thanks for the response. There was an issue with a pink wire coming off a 100 watt fuse. It’s a pink larger gauge wire that apparently is service wire of some sorts that is supposed to be capped off. The first mechanic who did the actual switching of the powerhead hooker that wire up to the starter along with the red wire.
                    When he was finished the motor ran with no issues.

I have been around boats my Entire life. My family operates a small manufacturing plant here in town. Dusky Marine. So I questioned this in a forum here and was told to disconnect the wire.
                    So that brought me back here with the current issue.

Sorry for the long winded response. This is all info I should have included in my original post.

Thanks again for your response.

Comment

Please post back what the eventual fix is...
                      Good luck...

Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X