No announcement yet.

Major engine problems with 8 hp 4 stroke yamaha advice wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you noted, you don't have to ull the head. Now if your re-ringing, obviously a hone is necessary(and head removal). If using the same rings, etc, I'd probably leave the head on.

As posted, assemble the pistons/ rotational assembly. Set #1 piston at TDC, then the cam's lining up all the marks.

Just go slow. Once all aligned, belt tensioned, SLOWLY spin the engine over BY HAND(spark plugs out) just to mark sure there is no interference and all your marks re-align once a complete cycle (two rotations) are completed..

If there's any doubt, you can also loosen the cam adjusters (all valves now seated), and re-adjust them last. I would check the valve clearance #'s before adjusting just for S&G's.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-02-2015, 07:55 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Update;If its not one problem its another

Still waiting on the parts from boats.net I have orderd 4 of ech of the 3 colors this outboard calls for.I waiting on one bearing.Should be in soon though...
      Meanwhile I decided to see how the tilt & trim on it worked.At first it didn't do anything till I started tapping on the motor with a plastic mallet.
      After going up & down & nursing it with the mallet through the slower spots it seemed to get better & better. I think its safe to say I bought a lemon but am now too far into it to give up...
      I can see the top flat screw has been"cheesed" up from someone probably trying to remove it with the wrong screwdriver.So that worries me to aside from the electric motor having its issues.IDK why someone would have tried to remove it.Only to fill id think & it don't look like it was leaking anywhere.
      Maybe ill find that reason out later when im 10 miles out on lake erie!
      As for the electric motor should I take the assembly off remove the motor & check the condition of the brushes & armature?
      I hope someones still checking out this forum & can give me some advice...
      Marty

Comment

I would take it apart to see what it looks like inside, tapping on a T&T motor to make it turn is not the best thing.
        Maybe you can catch it soon enough to repair and do not have to buy a new one

Comment

Update T8 project,T&T and Carb questions

I cleaned up the motor for the power trim & it seems to be working fine.However the relay for it,I believe is bad.You can see where someone had tapped on it.Its about $200! Has anyone ever encounterd any probs with relays for the T&T?
          I took & dissected the relay as carefully as I could (with possible intentions to fix) I cut it out of the housing with piano wire all around the perimeter of the little rectangular deal it is.Removed the electrical gel packing stuff.
          It don't look too sophisticated.2 small relays & a circuit board with possibly some diods.IDK
          Is there any other alternatives to this relay?
          Theres power going in,your switch then the power trim motor.Id think there would possibly be some other way around spending $200 for a pretty little relay sealed in electrical packing.
          I do have good news though...
          The little outboard seems to run pretty good.
          I had to take the carburetor on & off & mess with it 6 times though...
          The problem was part me to.I guess the 1st time I had it apart(prior to the rebuild)
          I made the mistake of screwing the pilot jet all of the way down.
          After figuring that out I screwed it all of the way down & turned it out 1-3/4 turns.The problem is I have no way of knowing how many turns out I should have it set.
          Its running now & seems to be fine but IDK.
          Anybody know anything about adjustments to the pilot jet? Its under the main jet.
          Theres no spring or nothing to hold it in place for sure once adjusted,whitch don't make any sense to me either?
          Its just right below the threaded port below the main jet.Im afraid vibration could cause it to work its way up or down the threads in the port its in & become out of adjustment.
          I just took a wild guess going out 1-3/4 turns.The manual said to remember the turns out but didn't give any info on how many turns.My screwup since I had taken it apart & put it back together befor I had a manual though its not the best of help there.
          At least its running & im seeing a possible end to this project...

2002 T8PLRA Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

Thanks;
          Marty
          Last edited by dogridgekraus; 02-02-2015, 04:38 AM. Reason: missspelling

Comment

Hi!

Have you noticed any diferences between colour bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
              Hi!

Have you noticed any diferences between colour bearings?
              There was 3 colors,brown,black & blue.
              I miked the originals & determined that the black was the size to use.
              All of the oil clearances are within spec.
              The manual was a big help!
              Its seems to run good just trying to make sure I have the carb set right.
              Am a little confused as I stated above.
              Thanks;
              Marty

Comment

Hi Marty!

If you measure the bearings with a caliper gauge can you notice any diference in thickness?

Brown vs Blue since you already used the black bearings.
                Last edited by almetelo; 02-04-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X