Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 F60TLRD Tilt Trim Relay blows the DOWN position only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F60TLRD Tilt Trim Relay blows the DOWN position only.

I have a 2005 Carolina Skiff with a F60TLRD.
    My tilt trim relay blows the down position once in a while when either the motor is running or when the motor is cranking to start. The tilt up position works fine all the time.

So to briefly explain what happens. Bought the boat used from an auction and found that the trim up works but the trim down doesn't. Of course, I believed it was the relay so I bought it and installed it and everything worked like a charm. I can tilt up and down on dry land all you want. Put the boat on the water and started it, trimmed down everything went fine. Drove it around for a little, trimmed up everything when fine but when I trimmed down it didn't work anymore.

Bough a new relay. Maybe the first one was crappy. Installed the second relay it works like a charm on dry land. Put it in the water. Used it for half a day trimming up and down. One time when I went to crank the engine and when I went to lower the motor... nothing. I also noticed that when I cranked my Humminbird turned off I thought "weird" because the Humminbird is connected directly to the battery. I connected it that way so I can keep my fish finder on when I'm anchored and motor is off. Maybe there is a surge coming from the starter / alternator during cranking.

So question is. Why is it only blowing the tilt down part of the relay? Why during cranking? and why not all the time? What should I check. I can't see any improperly grounded or exposed wires shorting anywhere. Something in the trim tilt motor? Any part of the engine I can check? Can there be something with the helm? Also should the Humminbird turn off during engine cranking?
    Last edited by TrojanFish; 05-18-2020, 11:16 PM.

The Humminbird doesn't turn off because of a 'surge' -
    it turns off because the available voltage drops too low -
    the starter motor uses a lot of battery power, and
    "there isn't enough to go around".

"Counterintuitively" - given that it has gravity on its side-
    a tilt/trim motor uses more power when lowering,
    then when raising.

You don't have wires 'shorting'.
    But its likely you have one or more bad connections,
    or bad wires,
    that is limiting current flow.

Check the two battery cables attached to the engine -
    remove the bolts and look at the mating surfaces.
    Likewise at the battery terminals.

Inspect the battery cables themselves,
    particulary at the battery end.
    often corrosion is hidden by the insulation:
    looks nice on the outside,
    but underneath the wire is green and rotten,
    sometimes for several inches in.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

"Counterintuitively" - given that it has gravity on its side-
      a tilt/trim motor uses more power when lowering,
      then when raising.

You don't have wires 'shorting'.
      But its likely you have one or more bad connections,
      or bad wires,
      that is limiting current flow.
      Thanks. I will check the wires all over again. Questions though... would bad connections or wire cause the relay to blow? I understand that bad wires would cause the relay not to activate if it can't draw enough power.

Comment

Fairdeal, is it possible the T&T motor has a leak (water intrusion), then shorting out? ??

Sounds like once on the water for a bit, a little water is getting in the T&T MOTOR (and that's when it starts acting up).. Thoughts?

Above doesn't explain the fish finder thou..(or sucking power when it blows momentarily)?

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-20-2020, 03:20 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X