2019 Yamaha 115 Shifter Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Yamaha 115 Shifter Issue

I have a new 2019 115 and my forward and reverse shifter clip on the engine control arms keeps falling out leaving me only reverse. This has happenened 3 times already. What is causing this (vibration?)? I am about to just put in a cotter pin because ...this is a real pain happening out on the water. Thank goodness I have a great *****ing motor to get me back to my dock. Any info why this is happening would be much appreciated. The motor is still under warranty but my dealer is really far away.

a picture of the connector that keeps coming off may help everyone know what you are dealing with.
    is everything new?(motor and controls)

I guess this is a F115

Comment

Here is a photo of the forward and reverse shifter arm. It is a F115 2019. You can see the clip laying there. Like I said this has happened 3 times already. This last time it took about 30 sec before it came off
      (brand new clip) when I put the boat in the water today.

Comment

Here is a photo of the forward and reverse shifter arm. It is a F115 2019. You can see the clip laying there. Like I said this has happened 3 times already. This last time it took about 30 sec before it came off
        (brand new clip) when I put the boat in the water today.

Comment

I am not seeing the clip in the pic for some reason.
          is there something rubbing on it causing to come off?

Comment

If there's a hole in that pin to put a cotter pin in then maybe a good solution....a washer under cotter pin might be good also....just curious, but what is supposed to hold this pin in place?...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              If there's a hole in that pin to put a cotter pin in then maybe a good solution....a washer under cotter pin might be good also....just curious, but what is supposed to hold this pin in place?...
              The pin itself, see pic below:

Looks like the cables right there in the pic are likely pushing the clip off..

Simply shifting it(while running/on muffs) will show what's pushing the clip off..

Or put a SS cotter pin in it and be done with it..

**BTW, I kinda doubt Yamaha would want battery cables laying directly above a moving part as over time, there will be issues/dead short (poor rigging). Might want to move those cables where nothings rubbing on them.

Capture.JPG
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-18-2020, 06:24 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I agree, can you say fire in the hole(boat) when a positive battery cable shorts to ground/ neg

Comment

That is a great point. Once the shifter is hooked-up it is acutally away from the battery cables but I was putting in the clip with the open side facing those cables. Therefore during the shifting it probably was slightly touching the cables pushing the clip out. I think by reversing the clip with the rounded portion of the clip facing the cables if there is contact the cables will actually be keeping the clip in place. I bet that's the answer !!!!!! Thanks Guys

Comment

even if that fixes your clip coming off problem, the cables should not be being rubbed by moving linkage.
                    it can cause a very bad situation

Comment

I will take a close look at that.... Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X