Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Spark - How to test CDI (F50TLRY, 2000 50HP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark - How to test CDI (F50TLRY, 2000 50HP)

First off, amazing to see the insights on this forum. I am a total amateur, so it is quite a blessing to be able to pick the minds of so many experts.

Bought an F50TLRY used. Turned over fine when I bought. Shipped it where I live and now I am getting zero spark. Have checked just about every wire I can find a lead position for, and using the service manual, checked the pulsar, charging coil and resistance across those components plus the coils, and all seems to check out according to manual spec range. However, I get zero voltage on the leads going to the coils when key is in start position. I know the CDI is a capacitor with some other elements built in, so a bit confounded on how that could go bad in transport. Perhaps I'm not even on the right track here.

Any ideas? CDI's aren't cheap, so would love to make a decision with confidence on what to do next.

Thanks in advance!

The manual should have a section in chapter 8 called "checking the CDI unit".

As long as the safety lanyard is in place and you did a real spark test while cranking, I would say you're on the right track. The CDI would be the next thing to test. The troubleshooting steps in chapter 5 should guide you.
    2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

if you have the service manual as you say it will have testing procedures for the ignition system.

a peak reading voltmeter for CDI systems is needed (or a DVA adapter and regular meter)to check inputs and out puts of the CDI to make sure they meet spec

most common possibility if all inputs are in spec would be the kill switch( man over board) is activated (grounded)

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        if you have the service manual as you say it will have testing procedures for the ignition system.

a peak reading voltmeter for CDI systems is needed (or a DVA adapter and regular meter)to check inputs and out puts of the CDI to make sure they meet spec

most common possibility if all inputs are in spec would be the kill switch( man over board) is activated (grounded)
        Thank you both! 99yam40, this triggered me to rething the issue and turns out, it appears to be a faulty oil pressure switch. Shorted the pressure switch to ground (with plugs out) and got a spark. Took it out and tested it with a pump and switch isn't closing. Much better news than spending $500 on a new CDI. Here's to hoping I get lucky and don't find a multitude of other issues now that we can at least start it up.

Comment

Working...
        X