Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

225txrr model won't start in cold temperature.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello.

My engine has the prime start which panasonic posted.
    The prime start works because when you take the 3 hoses off the top you see the fuel squirting. Also if you keep the prime start engaged, it will flood the carbs.

I got a chance to go to the boatyard yesterday afternoon and early this morning to compare diagnosis. I also disconnected the boat battery and hooked up an external battery with better leads to see if the boat battery leads may be causing any problems both times.

MY END FINDING IS I AM NOT GETTING SPARK ON THE PLUGS IN THE MORNING WHEN THE ENVIRONMENT IS COLDER OR PERHAPS WHEN CONDENSATION ACCUMULATES.

Yesterday afternoon during normal ambient temperature I started up fine and with just priming the bulb and tumbling like twice. No prime start used. Once started and ran okay, I then shut the engine off and proceeded to take each plug out, grounded it to the engine block and checked for spark. There was visible spark.

This morning I attempted starting, both with and without primestart and the external battery but the engine kept tumbling freely without any single fire or turnover. I then proceeded to check for spark using the same steps but there was none.

In this engine, there is the stator coil and pulser coil wired to the cdi at the back of the engine and all 6 coilpacks get fed from the cdi. I had tried another used stator coil in past which tumbled the engine slower than mine but got the same problem in the morning.

Only things left to try is the pulser coil and cdi but I can't put my hands on any.
    Can you tell me the real purpose of the pulser coil?
    Does the pulser coil generate the current for the coil packs or does the stator coil?
    Can cold soder in the ecu cause a problem as this?
    I added a link below for the parts breakdown of this engine.

View parts diagrams and shop online for 225TXRR : 1993 Yamaha Outboard 225hp. Offering discount prices on OEM parts for over 50 years. FAST $3.95 shipping available.
    Last edited by Mervin225hp; 05-23-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Hello.

Update to this post.
      Apparently CDI was causing the problem.

I managed to get my hands on a used cdi unit and replaced it.
      Fixed the no spark issue on mornings (colder temperature).
      I'm suspecting cold soder may be the issue within the cdi.
      The cdi is epoxy sealed so very difficult to get inside to try and repair.
      I will check if there is any spe******ts that can repair it before tossing.

Thanks to everyone who assisted on this post.
      Appreciate it. Keep safe.

Comment

Working...
      X