Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 VF115LA Occasionally blows white smoke upon start up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 VF115LA Occasionally blows white smoke upon start up.

The motor always starts immediately and runs fine. I hope this boat will be my last so I take extremely good care of it and this bellow of
    white smoke just upon start up is worrying me. It only happens maybe 1 in 20 starts. Is this typical or is an injector or valve sticking open on shut off?

Thanks,
    David

It is typical if the motor is left trimmed fully downward.

Try trimming the motor up a tad beyond vertical when not using the motor. Watch and see what happens.

Comment

I always though white smoke is a sign of water , blue was oil ,and black was too much fuel.

If Boscoe's post does not fix it,( making the oil on cylinder walls drain back into the crackcase)
      watch out for water pushing up the exhaust when you stop suddenly.
      might be getting some into the power head if valves are opened just right when shut down( that should not happen if motor is still running tho)

Comment

It could be blue, it's just an instantaneous puff. Also, it's a foam injected, tunnel hull jon boat with sponson pods so it's pretty much always on plane so I usually just put the motor down n go. I will update accordingly, thanks!

Comment

1st trip, very brief, only to change bunks and gather some bait. Trimmed as suggested n no smoke.

Comment

BTW, the Ultimate Bunk Boards I installed are awesome and worth the expense.

Comment

I've been monitoring the situation closely and it's kind of startling how many times I restart the motor during a single outing. Anyway it would appear that boscoe99 hit the nail on the head. If I keep the motor trimmed up a little there's no smoke. Thank you all so much!

Comment

Working...
              X