help with year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with year

Hi, I have a 8hp yamaha motor that I need to replace the water pump, but am struggling to get parts in south africa.

8A 647 S 18969

the water pump housing is corroded and needs to be replaced

Photo of the housing
    Attached Files

Comment

Housing and seals
      Attached Files

Comment

Why not go to the Yamaha parts catalog (where all parts are listed) and find the ones that you need?

For instance

1996 8MLHU Yamaha Outboard LOWER CASING DRIVE 1 Diagram and Parts

Do you not have Yamaha dealers in South Africa?

You can always order from boats.net

Comment

Thank you for the reply, the local dealers dont have my numbers on record, it is too old. Boats.net has the newer motors. That is why im trying to find the year so it can help locate the correct part, or if a newer part will fit

Comment

I looked at boat.net, the 1984 model digram shows 4 holes, mine has 3 mounting holes for the pump. They list props for 1976 to 1983 (pin)
            Attached Files

Comment

Photo of the motor
              Attached Files

Comment

That is an oldy but goody. I checked my Yam stuff and as best as I can tell your motor is circa 1970's. Not distributed in the US. Yam only came to the US in 1984.

I had hoped the 1984 8 HP stuff would work but apparently not given the configuration difference.

I am out of good ideas and altitude.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, got this from a local boat supplier. Drawing shows 3 holes. So looks promising, they will get back to me on availability
                  Attached Files

Comment

Motor was made from 1971 for Canada, Europe and Japan market. Not sure how long it was made for - possibly only a couple of years.

Comment

A friend from canada checked the numbers at a local shop, 1971/1972 year. So now next step is findind or repairing the housing locally.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Did a quick fix till I can get a new pump housing.

Machined the broken piece out and made a nylon washer to replace the broken piece. The stainless ware ring stops it from falling through, fitted a new seal and machined a new nylon stoper for the seal.

Tested the motor and I have a nice steady stream at the tell tail in the head.

this will have to do till I can find a new one.

Comment

Working...
                        X