Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition switch causing limp mode? Is this common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition switch causing limp mode? Is this common?

I just bought a 2000 Cobia 224 with a 2000 yamaha 200 ox66. (2 stroke, fuel injected). My first boat. 1700 original hours on both, but well maintained. First couple runs went phenomenal.

I ran the tank low, then filled it. (Not sure if coincidental, I dont think so. )

All of a sudden while going full throttle it started to surge, and eventually went into limp mode. I learned the key is very touchy. If i start it (always starts fine) then leave it on (RUN) , I have no gauges. This seems to be when limp mode is triggered. If i tweak the key barely to the right, (START) i get full gauges and everything runs great until I hit a wave and the gauges go off and alarm sounds.

Boat only turns off when inbetween (OFF) and (ON)

Only other thing I can think of is that my oil tank is only at 3/4. ???? I dont believe spark plugs or battery connections is the issue when she runs so good when I have no problems with gauges.

I impulse bought part number 704-82570-12-00 yesterday.

Originally posted by Kpatzke23 View Post
    I just bought a 2000 Cobia 224 with a 2000 yamaha 200 ox66. (2 stroke, fuel injected). My first boat. 1700 original hours on both, but well maintained. First couple runs went phenomenal.

I ran the tank low, then filled it. (Not sure if coincidental, I dont think so. )

All of a sudden while going full throttle it started to surge, and eventually went into limp mode. I learned the key is very touchy. If i start it (always starts fine) then leave it on (RUN) , I have no gauges. This seems to be when limp mode is triggered. If i tweak the key barely to the right, (START) i get full gauges and everything runs great until I hit a wave and the gauges go off and alarm sounds.

Boat only turns off when inbetween (OFF) and (ON)

Only other thing I can think of is that my oil tank is only at 3/4. ???? I dont believe spark plugs or battery connections is the issue when she runs so good when I have no problems with gauges.

I impulse bought part number 704-82570-12-00 yesterday.

Sounds like the ignition switch is faulty... Most likely a good impulse purchase...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X