Yamaha 8 hp won't tilt up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 8 hp won't tilt up.

i just bought this pretty clean Yamaha from a guy who just replaced the water pump,cleaned carb and lower unit oil change. I got it home and can't get it to tilt up. I assume it needs to be in forward gear but the lever on the side doesn't due anything. I need to reach around with my fingers to release it. Could he have done something to it when he took off the lower unit? Thanks

I know nothing about that small motor, but a better explanation or a pic of the lever you are saying does nothing, might help
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-09-2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

A year and model # would help too
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have troubles loading pics. I guess I need to make my pics smaller. Serial # 8mlhw which is a 1998 and a sticker on the side of the motor is 7/97. Without you being familiar with the model you can't give any advise but thank you. I'm doing trailer wheel bearings today so maybe tomorrow I can look at it closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael B View Post
          I have troubles loading pics. I guess I need to make my pics smaller. Serial # 8mlhw which is a 1998 and a sticker on the side of the motor is 7/97. Without you being familiar with the model you can't give any advise but thank you. I'm doing trailer wheel bearings today so maybe tomorrow I can look at it closer.
          Nope, that's what is needed (.8mlhw which is a 1998 )..

Here is the parts diagram for your trim: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...mlhw/bracket-1

Part #35 is what actually locks it down. Closely compare your engine to what parts SHOULD be there...(and that they aren't "frozen")

*The parts diagram for the entire engine for later use: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...ear/1998/8mlhw

Capture.JPG
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-09-2020, 06:46 PM.
          Scott

Comment

Thank You. Hopefully tomorrow I can dig into it. #35 is what I push with my fingers to release it. It's free.
            Last edited by Michael B; 05-09-2020, 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Well, looks like #35 resides inside part #39, spring loaded as well...

Spring(S) might have broke, not there, ??

Scott

Comment

Item #40 is the tilt lock/shallow drive lever. Is it functioning?

Comment

Hey guys thanks for your ideas. I fixed it today. I knew it had to do with the previous owner removing the lower unit.. There's a plastic piece that snaps onto the shift rod and when you shift into forward that piece pushes up on #35 to release it from the trim rod. Some how or another it got knocked off when he removed the lower unit. All good now.

Comment

Working...
                  X