05 Yamaha 4stroke 150HP small oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 Yamaha 4stroke 150HP small oil leak

Hey there, I recently mistakenly lowered the engine and collided with the ramp while taking the boat out of the water. Ever since then, I have observed a noticeably oil slick which occurs in the first hour or so of the boat running after I put it it in the water and drive it around. It seems to go away after that. I can see the oil VERY SLOWLY coming down the shaft from the powerhead, by the hydraulic trim. Can this collision be the cause of the oil leak? Any ideas on where it is coming from?

Clean the area well, let it dry. Run the T&T after that watching for signs of fluid. A little bit of baby powder will stick to any oil that escapes.

Posting a picture here when you see where it's coming from would be a big help..

Could this have happened from the boat ramp incident? Possibly, won't know till you dig deeper...

I wouldn't be putting it in the water till you determine the location of the leak. If it is the T&T unit, you really don't want water getting in there(making things worse).

Hours on the engine? Any prior work done to the T&T?

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hey there, sorry, I did not get a notification of a reply! So, I did take it out this weekend. I noticed the T & T deals were leaking a little bit. I ordered new seals. (expensive little things) Yesterday I took a look at the engine to see if there were any other signs of leakage and it looks like there is oil/water leaking out the weep holes. I attached a picture. Please note, these pictures appear to have uploaded upside down. There are 1700 Hours on the engine. No prior work to T & T.
      Last edited by deeFish1; 05-14-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Comment

So you have engine oil leaking down the leg? Not Hydraulic oil from the Trim actuators.

Comment

That is correct. Though, there is a small leak in the actuator seals

Comment

So two separate issues? T&T seals and that oil from the mid-section?
              Scott

Comment

That is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by deeFish1 View Post
                  That is correct.
                  Don't waste any $ on a lottery ticket... Your apparently not very lucky at least this week...
                  Scott

Comment

seems to me, that looks like motor oil

and since a 2005 F150 is at risk of the leaking crankshaft seal issue

that's my guess.
                    Dropping the lower unit,
                    and finding motor oil down the length of the driveshaft,
                    would confirm that.

Comment

Is there any chance this could have been related to the incident I mentioned in the original post? The oil did not present itself until after that trip.

Comment

Is there any chance this could have been related to the incident I mentioned in the original post? The oil did not present itself until after that trip.
                        Naw, two different things altogether.

Ones' the powerhead, the other is the T&T, completely separate things..
                        Scott

Comment

Thanks. In the event I choose to just do the speedy seal fix without replacing the pump, are there any other gaskets I'll need after I remove the powerhead and oil pump?

Comment

Thanks. In the event I choose to just do the speedy seal fix without replacing the pump, are there any other gaskets I'll need after I remove the powerhead and oil pump?
                            I would think, at least part #24: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...er-crankcase-1

Your that deep, I'd replace the pump. You don't want a "do over " for that repair...

As Fairdeal posted above, drop the LU first and check for oil running down the driveshaft..

Dare I ask if you updated the balancer?

Capture.JPG
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-15-2020, 07:27 PM.
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X