No announcement yet.

F250XCA dies under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question. does the lift pump also use fuel running thru it to cool and lube the motor/pump?

Comment

I ordered the LP pump. I will report back after installation. Keeping fingers crossed that this will finally be the answer! I really appreciate everyone’s help.

Comment

Ok. Before I installed the pump, I double checked the circuit for shorts. I unplugged the LP pump and replaced the #4 fuse. Then I ran the motor for 30 seconds. The fuse did not blow, leading me to believe that there was no additional short. I replaced the LP pump and set out for a test drive. The new pump did not blow the fuse. However, the engine died like it usually does under load between 3000-4000 rpm. I checked the bulb and it was full and hard. It now occurred to me that this may be an electrical issue.

i returned to the slip and began checking my electrical system. Here’s the funny part. I found that the negative cables on the starting battery were corroded and a little loose. I disconnected the battery and sanded all connections and reinstalled.

I then went on a very successful test drive, making half a dozen passes by the marina at varying rpms. No stall! I assume there was a poor connection and the engine couldn’t draw the required volts/amps.

I will take the boat out again on Wednesday. Hopefully, this will be another successful test drive.

Thanks again for your help!

CN

Comment

Another successful day. Pulled the kids on the tube all day with no stall.. I can’t believe the primary problem was a loose battery connection.

The boat runs great now.

Comment

After replacing all the filters, separators, injectors, and a fuel pump, it appears the problem was a loose connection on the starting battery. I had no idea that the electrical system could behave like this. I wasted countless hours working on this engine. CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS!!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out, though! Seems like you actually had two issues - poor fuel quality and then the electrical connection... when there's more than one culprit it makes diagnosing even MORE fun, right?
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
              X