200 HPDI trim unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 HPDI trim unit

I own a 2005 200HPDI mounted to a 1992 Grady 226.

From day one, when in the trailering position, the tilt rod retracts fine, but the trim rods take 2-3 full minutes to retract, and there is a high pitched gurgling sound like air.

At the 10 hour check, the dealer confirmed fluid level was full.

At the 100 hour check, I expressed my concerns, and he reportedly bled and checked the system.

No change, so I just got off the phone with Yamaha. After soem research, was told by tech that some model HPDI's and larger 4 strokes use a different trim motor which will retract as I have described due to no weight on them.

Here is my concern. The boat is kept in a slip, and the trim rods need to be retracted to keep growth from getting on them. In the manual, it tells to retract them if boat is stored in the water.
    Is it reasonable for me to hold the trim button down a full 2-3 minutes everytime I put the boat away?
    Might Yamaha replace the motor with one which will operate, in my opinion, correctly for my uses?
    I have owned 4 other Yamaha motors (regular 2 stroke), and all have operated in the manner I see as correct.

Thanks,
    FISHNFF

Changing the motor wouldn't do it. The motor justs turns the gear pump in one direction or the other depending on trimming up or down. You have change power trim unit because it is control by the control valve's inside unit, the newer ones don't have have the down pressure to retract the trim rams they just open the valves and allow oil to free flow and uses the weight of motor to push rams down.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Brian,
      If you can reach them from the transom, try rubbing a thin film of marine grease (I like Mobil 1 synthetic for it's water resistance) on the rams each time you come in. That should keep any corrosion, etc. from forming on them, and it should not take more than minute to do. Be sure and have the tilt locking lever in the down/locked position for safety with that motor all the way up.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        That is what the Yamaha tech said when I called the factory.
        I am not so worried about corrosion, as they are high quakity SS. Its the growth (seaweed, barnacles, ect) that form quickly in the summer.
        Just gotta live with it.

Why did they have to change?

FISHNFF

Comment

Working...
        X