Water pump replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump replacement

I have twin 2001 200 hpdi's. This is the first time I've attempted to do the waterpumps myself. After doing the first engine which wasn't that bad I've noticed the drive shaft spins in both directions. Everything I read says it should only spin clockwise. Is this wrong or did I screw something up?

When installing the housing on top of the impeller you turn the drive shaft clockwise so the impeller veins are oriented correctly.
    The drive-shaft will spin both directions when you turn it (Preferably without the impeller installed).
    Last edited by greasyshaft; 12-07-2014, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Would the impeller correct itself once the engine is started if the splines were in the wrong direction?

Comment

I imagine they would, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Comment

NO
          they wont correct themselves at all.
          you MUST turn the shaft clockwise when installing the cup/housing.
          you MUST also lift up on the shaft when seating the lock collar or your next post will be about a knocking sound.

unlike most inboard or belt driven pumps most outboard pumps are NOT bi-directional.

Comment

Another question. Does the metal collar that sits over the plastic slide all the way down or will there be a slight space above the plastic?

Comment

The spring washer should be compressed right the way around when seated correctly.
              The collar sits about 1-2mm above the the flange of the plastic spacer.

I HAVE A SHITTY IMAGINATION OBVIOUSLY
              Last edited by greasyshaft; 12-07-2014, 01:15 AM.

Comment

the ONLY thing that spring washer ,two flat washers retainer and collar do is preload the driveshaft upper bearing to prevent an annoying knock at low speed.
                that's it.
                as there is .007-.010 play up and down,(lash) in the shaft if you don't preload it it tends to knock when in gear at low speeds.
                wont hurt anything but can be very annoying.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X