Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****pit Controls for a Yamaha F6

Hi,

I have a 2012 Yamaha F6 on the back of a sailboat, and the boat is open transom so changing gears or throttle when docking etc is very precarious. From a few phone calls it seems a yamaha throttle control is not available for this size of motor - any ideas on a retrofit or another solution? Thanks in advance.

I'm not overly familiar with your model, but you can buy tiller extensions. I've used black, plastic well pipe for some of my outboards, as we have that pipe laying around. Sometimes you have to slice it (cut a slot about the length that it will slide onto the handle) and use a hose clamp, depending on the size of the tiller grip. PVC pipe is another option.

For the F-N-R, maybe a short rod (threaded on both ends, or the entire length)that you attach to the lever? Something like, drilling a hole in the top of the lever, then inserting the rod with a nut on both sides. You can get a screw on handle for the other end. Probably about $10-$15 total at a local hardware store. I don't know - just thinking outloud, here.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 12-06-2014, 07:34 PM.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Yeah that's about as far as I got thinking out loud as well...Might try and rig something this weekend.

Comment

Even if there was a "kit" available, I'd be afraid to ask what it costs. And then you'd still have to deal with mounting it, probably having the controls in your way 99% of the time, and such.

As an aside, you should be able to find fiberglass, or at least a composite-type plastic, rod - instead of a metal rod - to use for the F-N-R. It would be a little lighter and less worry about the weight causing an errant shift and also less worry about banging around and scratching something. Whether you can find it pre-threaded, or have to cut your own threads, I'm not sure.

Using a wing nut on the back side of the shifter would make the rod easy to put on and off, if that would help.

I suppose there's lot's of ideas that could be thrown around.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

do you mean something like that?
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMoSXvfZbA
          Remote Control - Hooymans Products

Comment

Working...
          X