C80TLRV 80HP Yamaha Prop Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C80TLRV 80HP Yamaha Prop Seal

I have a 1996 2 Stroke 80 Horsepower Yamaha Outboard and noticed when changing the lower unit lube that the oil was kind of a milky color. Figured I needed to replace the prop shaft seal. Do I need any special tools to do this job? What parts do I need to replace? Thanks,
    Last edited by fishfun83; 04-28-2020, 06:13 PM.

1st thing you need to do is drain the lower unit and pressure test it.
    if there are leaks, then use a soap and water solution to find where it is leaking( look for bubbles)

Comment

Is there a special fitting that screws to the lower fill port? How much pressure? I suspect I have some fishing line wrapped around the shaft that has cut the seal. If that is the case, is it hard to replace?

Comment

service manual for your motor has the procedures and tools needed listed to replace seals.
        yes there are special tools

I used a lower unit lube pump fitting to get air pressure into my lower unit to test

Guessing on where the leak is, is not the best way
        Last edited by 99yam40; 04-28-2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I would add there are a few YouTube videos on how to do the pressure test, nothing mentioned about the need to pull the lower unit to perform the pressure test. Couple of "O" rings at the shift shaft and main drive shaft that could be the problem, good luck.

Comment

without pulling the lower unit you will not be able to check the drive shaft seals and shift shaft seals

Comment

Check your drain/vent plug washers first to be dead sure that's not the leak....also remove prop to inspect for fishing line that cause the leak....maybe line didn't damage the seal...just caused it to leak....the shifter shaft seal and drive shaft seals would be worth checking since they're easier to access and replace than the prop shaft seals...

Comment

Working...
              X